What are Ouija Boards and how are they used?
Ouija boards (also known as spirit boards or talking boards) have been around for a very long time and available for purchase for well over 100 years. They are used to receive messages from Spirit.
Typically, the surface of the board includes the letters of the alphabet, the numbers 0-9, and sometimes complete words, such as “yes” or “no.” (See picture at the top of this Blog post.)
Participants place their fingertips lightly on a device called a planchette. After a question is asked, then Spirit will move the planchette around the board to spell out words or provide numeric answers.
Spirit boards were originally used to connect the users with deceased loved ones. However, as is true with most psychic tools, it quickly became apparent that messages can come from any spiritual entity (e.g., angels, guides, dark energy).
Are Ouija Boards really “portals to the Devil”?
Unlike some other psychic tools (e.g., angels cards), there is a common belief within Western culture that Ouija Boards are “portals” to dark or evil energies. For this reason, some people are reluctant to use them.
Even within the metaphysical community, some people strongly believe that Ouija Boards should not be used for psychic or mediumship readings.
While I respect those who choose to not use Ouija Boards (or any other psychic tool), I personally believe that these boards are no more dangerous than any other type of psychic tool.
MY BELIEF: A Ouija Board is simply a tool. What is important is HOW any psychic tool is used.
Why do Ouija Boards get such a bad rap compared to other psychic tools?
Without going into a lot of detail, here is a summary of the most relevant issues:
- The belief that Ouija Boards are “portals to the Devil” was initially proposed by the Catholic Church. This was done in an effort to scare people away from using them.
- Unfortunately, Hollywood took the Catholic Church’s position and “ran with it.” For example, Ouija Boards are often depicted in negative ways in horror movies and television programs.
- Ouija Boards are a form of dowsing, and all dowsing tools can provide inaccurate results if the user isn’t trained in how to use them properly. (NOTE: See more about dowsing in the next section.)
- All psychic tools (even angel cards!) can bring through dark energy if not used properly. (NOTE: Many of the 6 TIPS provided below will increase your ability to safely use any psychic tool.)
- Perhaps most importantly, Ouija Boards are sold in the children’s department of many stores. They are seen as a toy, which means that children play with them. Children do so without knowing (a) how to protect themselves and (b) how to make sure that messages they are receiving are coming from the Light versus from dark sources. But regardless of the age of the user, when Ouija Boards (or any psychic tools) are used by those who are untrained, there is an increased chance of connecting with something that is not from the Light.
Again, my position is that there is always an increased chance that the user of any psychic tool will connect with dark entities if the user is not adequately trained. However, the need for training is especially important when using dowsing tools for divination purposes (e.g., psychic or mediumship readings). (NOTE: Again, see more about dowsing in the next section.)
What is dowsing?
As mentioned above, Ouija Boards fall into a category of psychic tools called dowsing. Other dowsing tools include pendulums and dowsing rods.
Although a complete discussion of dowsing is beyond the scope of this Blog post, here are some key points regarding their use:
- The art of dowsing is an ancient practice that can be traced back thousands of years to the Egyptians and Chinese.
- It has been used by many different religions (e.g., Catholicism, Buddhism).
- Various governments (e.g., United States, Germany, England) have also used them (often secretly).
- Based on archeological evidence and historical documents, it appears that pendulums were first used for divination by the Romans to determine battle strategies.
- Dowsing (especially pendulums) was quickly found to be an effective tool for psychics and mediums.
What are the challenges when using any dowsing tool?
All forms of dowsing require that the user (a) be adequately trained, (b) gain quite a bit of experience using that tool, and (c) use a certain amount of caution. Why?
- All dowsing tools have the potential to bring through dark energy if users don’t know how to protect themselves.
- The users of all dowsing tools have the potential to be influenced by their own conscious or unconscious thoughts or beliefs.
- For example, if you are using a dowsing tool and you consciously or unconsciously want the answer to be “yes,” then you will get a “yes.” Similarly, if you consciously or unconsciously want a “no,” then you will get a “no.”
Can dowsing tools provide accurate information?
If the user is properly trained and has adequate experience in using a specific tool, then any dowsing tool can be amazingly effective.
For example, I personally use a pendulum during almost all of my professional psychic readings and Reiki healing sessions. In fact, it’s such a useful tool that I use my pendulum for many day-to-day activities, such as picking out which fruit is ripe at the grocery store (yes, I do get some strange looks).
But it takes time and practice before the tool can provide consistent and accurate results.
A full discussion of how to use dowsing tools is beyond the scope of this Blog post. But I do encourage readers to get the training they need in both (a) the use of the specific dowsing tool and (b) how to recognize when they are connecting with entities that are in the Light versus those that are not.
6 tips for using Ouija Boards and all dowsing tools
Here are 6 tips for safely and effectively using ANY dowsing tool (or any psychic tool for that matter!):
- TIP #1 – Protect Yourself: You should ALWAYS start any psychic work with a prayer or intention. Any prayer will do, but you definitely need to tell your guides and angels that, “I only want to communicate with beings of the Light and of the highest good” (or something like that). You should make this very firm statement before using any psychic tool, including Ouija Boards or other dowsing instruments.
- RELATED BLOG POST: What is Prayer, How to Pray, Why Some Prayers Aren’t Answered, and Suggested Prayers for Protection and Guidance
- RELATED BLOG POST: How to Protect Yourself When Doing Spiritual Work – Tips and Techniques
- FOR MORE BLOG POSTS ON PSYCHIC PROTECTION: Psychic Protection
- RELATED PRODUCT: Psychic Protection 101: How to Feel Completely Safe Connecting with Spirit (eBook)
- TIP #2 – Training Is a Good Idea: If possible, either take a class or read manuals/books about how to use a specific dowsing tool or dowsing tools in general. This will allow you to learn from an expert how to use the tool safely and how to make this tool work effectively so you will receive accurate and consistent answers. If it’s being offered, my Pendulums 101 class can be very helpful. However, you should also be trained in general psychic work, which should include how to differentiate between messages that are coming from the Light and messages that are not.
- RELATED BLOG POST: True Guidance Versus False Guidance – The Skill of Discernment
- TIP #3 – Practice, Practice, Practice: Once trained, you need to practice with your tool a lot! Although this is true with all psychic tools, it is particularly important with dowsing tools in order to receive accurate information. Yes, there are a few people who can pick up a dowsing tool and use it accurately the first time. But that is rare. (NOTE: I personally don’t want to have surgery with a doctor who just learned how to use a scalpel! Practice is essential!)
- TIP #4 – An Attitude of Detachment: When using ANY dowsing tool, it’s critically important that you train yourself to be totally detached from the outcome. Remember, if you want the answer to be “yes,” then a dowsing tool will give you a “yes,” even if your desire is unconscious.
- RECOMMENDATION: If you have a strong feeling about the topic that you will be asking about, then using a dowsing tool is not recommended. It is best to either (a) use a different psychic tool (e.g., angel or tarot cards, runes) or (b) find someone to do the dowsing work for you (see TIP #5 below).
- TIP #5 – Dowsing Tools Are ALWAYS Easier to Use for Someone Else: Due to the challenges discussed in TIP #4, dowsing tools are MUCH easier to use for someone else and not for yourself. It’s hard to be detached from your own opinions at both a conscious AND unconscious level. However, even when you aren’t emotionally connected to the answer, you will find that doing dowsing work for others is always easier than doing it for yourself. For this reason, I always recommend that my students find a “Pendulum Buddy” who is willing to swap pendulum readings.
- TIP #6 – Dealing With Inconsistent Answers: If you get inconsistent answers, then it’s very important to “step away from the dowsing tool.” Find another way to explore this issue (see suggestions in TIP #4). There are many reasons why this inconsistency might occur, but the bottom line is that you should always receive consistent answers. In fact, I always train my dowsing students to “check” their answers to make sure the answer remains the same. If the answers change within a reasonable amount of time (e.g., a few hours), then it could be due to any of the following:
- You are influencing the outcome because you cannot be detached.
- Spirit is telling you that this dowsing tool is the wrong tool to use for this question.
- Sometimes, Spirit is trying to tell you that they can’t provide you with the answer to your question. They can only provide answers that (a) are in alignment with life scripts and (b) do not violate the privacy of another person.
- Anne’s Blog – Posts in relevant categories
- Anne’s Psychic Development classes
- Anne’s Mediumship classes
- Complete list of classes and workshops that are offered through IMPART
- Frequently asked questions about how to develop your abilities
- Testimonials and reviews
- IMPART’s online Store
- Be sure to Join Anne’s Online Community to receive:
- Announcements about class offerings, new Blog posts, and new online products when they become available.
- New & Full Moon Reports.
- If you have additional questions, feel free to email us at Anne@AnneReith.com or call (714) 599-0017.
Visit our Facebook page to receive Anne Reith’s daily inspirational quotes and announcements.
By Anne Reith, Ph.D.