Institute for Mediumship, Psychic, Astrological, and Reiki Training (IMPART)
Code of Ethics
Ethics is a system of moral principles or rules of conduct or practice that are recognized by a particular culture or group. An ethical act is one where we refrain from causing harm to others and, instead, act for the betterment of others. The motivation for ethical acts is based on caring for others rather than self-interest.
A code of ethics is a summary statement of the standards by which a group agrees to conduct their practices and is a declaration of the general principles of acceptable professional behavior.
IMPART’s Code of Ethics
As a student, certified practitioner, and/or faculty member of IMPART, I agree to abide by the Code of Ethics outlined below:
- I will demonstrate commitment to serving the best interests of my clients at all times and to providing the highest quality of service to those seeking my professional service.
- I acknowledge the confidential nature of the professional relationship with my clients and respect each client’s right to privacy.
- I shall strive to maintain clear and honest communication with my clients, faculty members, and colleagues.
- I refrain from engaging in any sexual conduct or sexual activities involving my clients.
- I accept responsibility to “do no harm” to the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual well-being of myself, my clients, my students, and my colleagues. This includes being aware that personal issues may interfere with professional effectiveness, and I agree to refrain from any activities in which my personal problems are likely to lead to inadequate performance or harm to a client, colleague, or student.
- I strive to embrace the value of compassion by being consciously aware of the impact of my words and actions on others’ well being.
- I acknowledge, respect, and accept diversity and believe that the world is one inclusive community. I agree to celebrate all races, nationalities, cultural backgrounds, socio-economic groups, genders, sexual orientations, gender identities, physical abilities, religious or spiritual belief systems, and life experiences.
- I am dedicated to providing services within the scope of my training and, when necessary, will refer clients to appropriate qualified health, mental health, and/or spiritual professionals.
- I will be respectful of other professionals and practitioners, and I will cooperate with them in a professional and courteous manner.
- I will accurately represent my competence, education, training, and experience.
- I conduct all business and professional activities within the limits of the law. I understand that this includes, but is not limited to, being unable to diagnose medical or psychological programs, prescribe any medication (including supplements or over-the-counter medications), or to recommend the discontinuance of any of these, unless I am otherwise licensed, credentialed, or certified to do so.
- I shall strive to project a professional image of myself, my business or place of employment, and the profession in general.
NOTE: The Code of Ethics above is based on several sources, including the ethical guidelines used by the American Massage Therapy Association, the Associated Bodywork and Massage Professionals, the Church of Religious Science, and the American Psychological Association.
Visit our Facebook page to receive Anne Reith’s daily inspirational quotes and announcements.
By Anne Reith, Ph.D.