Psychic Protection – How to create an energetic grid for protection and/or empowerment
My psychic development teacher taught me about energy gridding in 2002. I’ve personally used it ever since because it works!
I have found energetic gridding to be one of the most effective methods for general protection and empowerment of a geographic location. It is such a simple technique that I teach it to all my students. I even include directions in the handout that is provided to new students.
As with all the techniques that I present, if this one feels interesting, then try it! If it’s effective, great! If not, keep searching until you find the technique that works best for you.
NOTE: Links to blog posts and information related to psychic protection and energy clearing are listed at the bottom of this article.
Introduction to energy grids
Energetic grids can be created to either:
- Protect a space from unwanted energy coming into the area (e.g, rooms in a home or office, rooms being used by psychics/mediums/channelers, rooms being used by healers, hotel rooms when traveling).
- Empower or energize a space with energy that has certain qualities (e.g., energy that is loving, protective, healing).
An energy grid is created by placing crystals and stones in a geometric shape and then empowering them (see directions below). The grid will remain as long as the crystals and stones are not moved/disturbed.
NOTE: An energy grid can be created without crystals or stones; however, crystals and stones anchor the energy so the grid will last longer.
How to create an energetic grid
- Select 3 crystals or stones of the same kind. Size does not matter; i.e., they can be very small or very large but they must be the same kind to have the same type of energy (e.g., 3 clear quartz, 3 sodalite). You should select the type of crystal or stone based on the energy that is most often associated with it. (NOTE: I always recommend including clear quartz because it can be programmed to the energy of whatever type of crystal or stone that you want it to be, and you can change that programming at any time as your needs change). Here are some suggestions:
- All-purpose – clear quartz (ask the crystal to serve whatever purpose you need)
- Business decisions – tiger’s eye
- Communication – sodalite
- Creativity – carnelian
- Grounding – red jasper, black tourmaline, tiger’s eye (gentle grounding)
- Healing – green aventurine, malachite
- Love – rose quartz
- Protection – hematite, black tourmaline (obsidian is not recommended due to the “volcanic” nature of the energy)
- Psychic abilities – lapis lazuli, amethyst
- Self-esteem enhancement – citrine
- Place the crystals and/or stones in the shape of an equilateral triangle (or as close as possible to this shape) around the area that you wish to protect and/or empower. (NOTES: The crystals and/or stones do not need to be placed on the same level. Additionally, they do not need to be visible.)
- Stand on the outside the triangle and between 2 of the points on the triangle (see picture to the right). You can stand on any side of the triangle (i.e., only 1 side is needed).
- Ask your guides to help you to empower this grid. If you are trained in Reiki or other healing modalities, you can also call on your healing guides to assist you.
- Begin imagining white light/energy above you. Pull that energy down through your crown chakra and let it flow down your arm and into the palm of your dominant hand. Then direct your palm toward the crystals and/or stones as described below:
- Start by crossing your dominant arm across your body (i.e., start to your left if you are right-handed or to your right if you are left-handed).
- Direct your palm/hand toward the crystals and/or stones in that corner of the triangle.
- Move your palm/hand toward each of the crystals and/or stones in a clockwise direction until you have completed 3 complete circuits and have returned to where you started (i.e., you will finish with your dominant arm crossing your body).
- Send this white light/energy to each corner of the triangle for as long as you are guided to do so, but a few seconds per corner is usually all that is needed.
- Thank your guides for helping you to empower this grid.
How often should you re-grid?
You can re-grid as often as you wish. However, if the area is subjected to negative or toxic energy, then re-gridding will be needed more often.
There are many different methods you can use to determine when an area needs to be re-gridded. Just a few of these include:
- If you are sensitive to how energy “feels,” then re-grid whenever you feel that the energy in the space isn’t quite as positive as it used to be.
- If you are not as sensitive to energy, then I recommend re-gridding whenever you think about it because this is often your guides “whispering in your ear” or “nudging you” with a reminder that it’s time to re-grid.
- If you are skilled in the use of a pendulum, you can ask if the space needs to be re-gridded.
For example, given my home is generally a very positive area, I tend to re-grid once a month. However, when I used to work in a very stressful office, I would re-grid my office on a weekly basis (or more often if I felt it was needed).
Other times when you should consider re-gridding:
- You should re-grid if the crystals and/or stones are moved because this breaks the energy circuit you’ve created.
- You probably should re-grid if you have rearranged furniture.
- You probably should re-grid if you have had a significant disruption in the energy within the space (e.g., visitors in your home for an extended period of time, spring cleaning, renovations).
Additional information about creating energy grids
- If you are guided to do something in a way that differs from the directions above, please trust that guidance (e.g., using your non-dominant hand, starting with a different crystal, moving in a counter-clockwise direction).
- Although the area inside the triangle is the most powerful area in the grid, you can ask your guides to broaden the protected and empowered areas to areas outside the triangle (see next bullet for suggestion).
- While doing the gridding, you may choose to recite a prayer or mantra of some kind. Any prayer or spiritual saying is fine. For example, when I create my grids, I repeat the following phrase: “I empower this grid and the surrounding area with Christ’s white light.” This phrase becomes a rhythmic chant as I continue around the 3 corners of the triangle.
- You can use more than one type of crystal and/or stone in each corner. For example, you might place 1 hematite in each of the 3 corners for protection, 1 rose quartz in each of the 3 corners for love, and 1 amethyst in each of the 3 corners to increase psychic communication. However, I do not recommend using more than 3 different crystals or stones per grid because the energies involved may begin to interfere with each other or be too activating for those within the grid.
- You can grid the entire house or you can grid each individual room within the house. Just be sure not to overlap grids in a way that would result in areas being influenced by more than 3 crystals/stones. If you grid the entire house, one suggestion is to bury the crystals outside the house so that a larger portion of the empowered space covers the house and so the crystals or stones are less likely to be moved. However, if using this approach to gridding a large building, either (a) you will need do the actual gridding from a distance using Reiki OR (b) you will need to do the gridding after dark so no one observes you and wonders what you are doing!
- If you are trained in Reiki, then you can grid from a distance using the Distance Symbol. But if you are using crystals or stones, then you have to be sure they are placed in advance and are not moved.
Blog posts and information related to psychic protection and energy clearing
- Psychic Protection 101: How to Feel Completely Safe Connecting with Spirit (ebook)
- Psychic protection – How to protect yourself and suggested protective actions
- Psychic protection – How to create an energetic grid for protection and empowerment
- Psychic protection – How to use energy shielding
- Psychic protection – How to cleanse yourself or your space of negative or toxic energy
- How to create a spiritual practice that’s right for you
- What is prayer and some suggested prayers for Lightworkers
- Darkness cannot exist where there is Light and advice for Lightworkers (as channeled by Dr. Anne Reith)
- Channeled message from St. Theresa about humanity’s changes (as channeled by Rev. Margaret McCormick)
- We encourage you to explore other metaphysical topics on Dr. Anne’s blog and on her website.
- Be sure to join Anne’s online Community to receive notification when new blog posts become available, announcements about upcoming events, and information about new online products.
- See IMPART’s online Calendar for classes that are currently being offered.
- Visit Anne’s online Store and her FREE stuff.
Visit our Facebook page to receive Anne Reith’s daily inspirational quotes and announcements.
By Anne Reith, Ph.D.