Is it beneficial or detrimental for psychics, mediums, and healers to use prescription medications?
I am often asked this question. Students worry that taking prescription medications will interfere with developing or using their psychic, mediumship, or healing abilities. Given my background as a Psychologist, I, too, was curious about this when I initially entered the metaphysical field back in 2002.
I quickly learned that there are many (often divergent) opinions about this topic. Some people in the metaphysical field believe that taking prescription medications is detrimental, while others, including myself, disagree with this belief.
Many people taking prescription medications for depression, anxiety, or other psychological issues want to explore their spiritual abilities. The following information is based on (a) what my guides have told me and (b) my experience teaching and working with thousands of students and professional psychics, mediums, and healers.
- Does Consuming Caffeine or Using Cigarettes, Alcohol, or Other Drugs Impact Your Spiritual Connection?
- Does Diet (e.g., Vegetarian, Vegan) Impact Your Spiritual Connection?
Antidepressant and antianxiety medications and psychic skills
My guides suggested that I start this discussion by explaining the following, which correlates with what I have observed as a teacher and as a Psychologist:
- Experiencing psychological issues (e.g., depression, anxiety) can be detrimental to psychic work, mediumship, and/or serving in the role of a healer. Many of these are medical conditions that are the result of a biochemical imbalance in the brain. For example, when a person is very depressed, it is as if they are looking at the world through a pair of dark glasses. The world around them is often experienced as hopeless. They feel powerless and are often frightened. These emotional and mental states can “bleed through” and impact their faith in their ability to connect with Spirit. Additionally, the interpretation of any messages that are received from the non-physical plane can be “colored” or detrimentally influenced by those dark glasses.
- Unless the correct medication and the correct dose is administered, this can also interfere with receiving and interpreting messages from Spirit. This can happen when:
- The dose is too low.
- The dose is too high.
- The side effects from the medication are distracting.
- The medication isn’t adequately controlling the original symptoms.
If the depression or anxiety is short-lived and mild, then medication may not be needed. However, if the problem is moderate or severe and/or long-term, then medication can and should be considered.
Sometimes the medication will only be needed for a short period of time. Other times, medication may be a lifelong solution to symptoms that would otherwise interfere with enjoying life.
The positive impact of taking the correct medication and correct dose
I personally know many professional and wonderful psychics, mediums, and healers who are taking prescriptions medications, such as antidepressants, anti-anxiety medication, and many other types of prescription medications for a wide range of psychological conditions.
I can say with all certainty that taking the correct medication and the correct dose can facilitate rather than interfere with the development of psychic abilities, mediumship skills, and serving as a healer. It can also increase the accuracy of messages being transmitted from the other side.
Body, mind, and spirit are all important!
When someone is struggling with depression, anxiety, or any psychological issue, I believe it is beneficial to address the problem from multiple levels:
- Physically: There might be (and often are) physiological (i.e., biochemical) causes to emotional disorders (e.g., inadequate supplies of neurotransmitters in the brain). We are so blessed to live at a time when there are medications that can help compensate for these physical conditions. I believe that God/Source/Spirit brought us medications like antibiotics, antidepressants, etc., so we could live happier lives! Those on the other side want us to be happy!!! When these conditions are treated with the correct medications and the correct dose, the quality of life improves (often substantially).
- Mentally: It’s also important to address cognitive issues involved in emotional disorders. Research consistently shows that the best outcome for the treatment of depression, anxiety, and many psychological issues involves a combination of medication AND counseling. Especially with those who are feeling depressed, they will often want to isolate. If this is true for you, please reach out for help from competent mental health professionals (see below). The medication can be invaluable, but trained mental health professionals can help you sort out the issues that have lead up to or are contributing to your depression or other psychological issue.
- Spiritually: We need to surround ourselves with loving, compassionate, supportive, and like-minded others who believe in our capacity to heal and live a full, abundant life! Feel free to seek out alternative treatments that can supplement Western medical approaches (e.g., energetic healing modalities such as Reiki, Emotional Freedom Techniques or tapping).
The importance of receiving professional support
If you need help treating depressive, anxiety, or other mental health issues:
- Please do not hesitate to reach out for help. Free and confidential help is available (see blue box below)! While working as a Psychologist, I saw first-hand the profound improvement in people’s lives once they felt supported and/or the correct medication or “cocktail” (i.e., combination of medications) is provided. If you need help and you don’t feel you are being heard by medical or mental health personnel, please keep searching until your voice is heard.
- Please trust that there is nothing wrong with taking medication that is appropriate to your body’s needs. However, not taking what your body needs or taking something that isn’t appropriate for you can be detrimental to metaphysical work and to your overall mental, emotional, and spiritual health.
If you need support
If you are depressed and especially if you are thinking about harming yourself, please reach out for help and support. Free and confidential help is available! The 3-digit dialing code for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 988. Or you can call (800) 273-TALK (8255). Someone is available 24/7.
Trust yourself and don’t forget to ask for spiritual help
Some final thoughts:
- Please be sure to follow your inner guidance regarding the approach to treatment that is right for you.
- If the approach that you have tried thus far hasn’t been working, it may be time to try something different. I understand that making changes can be difficult when you are hurting emotionally. However, you deserve to get the support you need! If you are feeling confused, it may help to talk with others who have a more objective opinion about your situation and/or can provide alternatives/ideas.
- Remember to ask your angels and guides to bring you the help and guidance that you need. Then sit back and watch as often amazing synchronicities and miraculous solutions begin to appear in your life!
- Anne’s Blog (including more posts about spiritual Information)
- Training and mentoring sessions with Anne
- Anne’s Psychic Development classes
- Anne’s Mediumship classes
- IMPART’s Reiki classes
- Complete list of classes and workshops that are offered through IMPART
- Frequently asked questions about how to develop your abilities
- Testimonials and reviews
- IMPART’s online Store
- Be sure to Join Anne’s Online Community to receive:
- Announcements about class offerings, new Blog posts, and new online products when they become available.
- New & Full Moon Reports.
- If you have additional questions, feel free to email us at Anne@AnneReith.com or call (714) 599-0017.
Visit our Facebook page to receive Anne Reith’s daily inspirational quotes and announcements.
By Anne Reith, Ph.D.