NEW MOON IN SAGITTARIUS & SOLAR ECLIPSE – Powerful new beginnings that could lead to clarity or confusion (December 3, 2021)
In the Pacific Time Zone, the New Moon will occur at 11:42 p.m. on Friday, December 3. This New Moon finds the Moon and Sun conjunct (0°) at 13° of Sagittarius. To further clarify how this New Moon will impact you on a personal level, locate 13° of Sagittarius in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with that house are going to be most influenced by this New Moon’s presence.
New Moons always provide us with an opportunity for a new emotional start in the areas associated with the sign. This time, we are focused on Sagittarius. The higher expression of this sign includes being enthusiastic, generous, straightforward, adventurous, fun, and ethical. The lower expression can include being tactless, blunt, pushy, and self-indulgent. Sag is symbolized by a centaur shooting its arrow up into the heavens, which provides us with the perspective we need to see the big picture.
This Sagittarius Full Moon is also a full solar eclipse, which means the power is much stronger than the partial lunar eclipse that we experienced two weeks ago. As explained in the last Moon Update, all eclipses occur in pairs and in 6-month cycles. The time right around the actual eclipse may bring a sudden or unexpected event that acts like a catalyst. However, it often takes months to realize the full impact of any resultant changes.
Lunar eclipses (e.g., the one that happened 2 weeks ago) often herald a culmination of some kind, or at least we see the signs that an ending is coming. With this solar eclipse, any realizations that we have had over the past two weeks may have been preparing us for the new beginnings that often mark the occurrence of a solar eclipse. Even though the centaur’s arrow gives us perspective of the big picture with this Sag solar eclipse, the arrow is so far up in the sky that we often miss important details. Therefore, we should keep in mind that we may not be clearly seeing all the pieces of the proverbial puzzle (yet), which could leave some of us feeling confused. Even if we are not feeling confused about the decision we need to make, it may take some time before we fully understand why the changes are occurring.
This New Moon in Sagittarius is conjunct (0°) Mercury, which means that our minds will be very active! We may find, though, that our heads (Sun) and hearts (Moon) are more aligned than usual, which can assist us in making any decisions. Also, the Sag energy may provide us with an optimistic view of the future. The presence of Mercury means that we are definitely in problem solving mode. However, we should all keep in mind that Mercury in Sag can cause our written or spoken words to be blunt or insensitive to the feelings of others. This lower expression often happens because we think we know what the “truth” is and we feel compelled to share it with others. It’s important to remind ourselves that we actually only know what the “truth” is for ourselves (i.e., that “truth” may not be the “truth” for others).
This grouping of the Sun, Moon, and Mercury in Sagittarius is forming several aspects that may help us understand how the energy of this New Moon might play out. Further clarification is provided when we examine the aspects between other planets occurring at this time:
- The New Moon and Mercury are in in a very close inconjunct (150°) to Uranus, the planet of change. Yes indeed, change is still strongly indicated, which has been the case in several recent Moon Updates. The inconjunct, though, gives a heads up that the changes occurring now may not provide win-win situations. If this aspect was an opposition (180°), then we could find a way to achieve some type of balance in which both sides were satisfied. However, inconjuncts usually require making tough choices and adjustments. There are often no easy answers or solutions with inconjuncts. Both sides of the equation will likely need to make sacrifices in order to move forward.
- However, support is provided by sextiles (60°) between Saturn in Aquarius and the Sun/Moon/Venus in Sag. Just some of the possible influences could include feeling more grounded and stable and being disciplined, decisive, and productive, albeit in a slow and steady way. Given Saturn is located in Aquarius, we may also be able to apply our strong Saturn principles in a fair way.
- Also, Mars in Scorpio is in a supportive trine (120°) to Neptune in Pisces. Mars can provide us with the energy and courage to be more creative than usual, which can help with problem solving. However, it may be difficult to clearly explain our actions to others because they are often based on our strong intuitive hunches.
- But as has been true all year, Saturn is still in a square (90°) to Uranus, with the final exact square coming soon in just a couple of weeks. Any new beginnings that are initiated now will likely result in changes to one or more structures in our lives, and these changes will likely provide us with increased freedom.
- Additionally, the Sun, Moon, and Mercury in Sagittarius are in a trine (120°) to Chiron in Aries. This could help us have the confidence we need in order to make any needed changes. It could also support heart-felt communication because we are able to be more sensitive to the feelings and needs of others, as well as our own. We may find that words, both oral and written, can be used effectively to heal. Hopefully, this increased compassion will help mitigate the tendency of Sag to sometimes be a bit too blunt.
- Pluto continues to play a transformative role in our lives. Right now, it’s been joined in Capricorn by Venus in a conjunction (0°). This conjunct adds power (Pluto) to issues related to relationships and finances (Venus). The fact that this meeting is occurring in Capricorn means that any decisions will likely have a long-range impact. However, this Venus-Pluto get-together could bring to a head any relationship issues that have been brewing below the surface, especially if there are secrets that need to be revealed. Luckily, Pluto is also in a sweet sextile (60°) to Mars in Scorpio, which can help us uncover those secrets more easily than usual, let go of anything that is holding us back from moving forward, and to approach any decisions in a mature, responsible, and discipled way.
- However, there is one more thing to be aware of. Mars is in a square (90°) to Jupiter. On the one hand, this can add a lot of energy and enthusiasm to our lives; however, this can also cause us to become overconfident and/or to overestimate our abilities. We may also overreact to a situation, which is more likely if we feel someone is blocking our personal expression in some way. Impatience can be another Achilles heel of this square, because we don’t want to have to wait for results. Finally, given Jupiter is the ruler of Sagittarius, it, too, can believe that it knows the “truth” for everyone. We all need to remember that we have a right to express and even defend our beliefs, but we have no right to insist that others follow our lead or agree with us.
Right before the Sagittarius New Moon (on Wednesday, December 1), Neptune ends its annual retrograde phase and begins moving direct again. As it gains speed over the next few weeks, we may find it easier to access the higher expression of Neptune, including compassion, intuitive ability, and moving from fear and into faith. However, some astrologers believe that the lower expression of Neptune can also come to forefront when Neptune moves direct, especially right around the time when Neptune changes direction. This could include being unable to see things clearly or playing the victim or martyr. Remember, it’s always our choice how we will express a planet’s energy in our lives, so let’s all choose to be more compassionate and spiritually connected!
Then on Monday, December 13, two planets change signs:
- Mars leaves Scorpio and enters Sagittarius, where it will remain until January 26. We may suddenly feel ready to move forward or start a new adventure of some kind. Our actions are motivated by our ideals and personal ethics, and we many of us will be feeling an increased sense of hope and optimism. The downside of Mars in Sag is that we may start something with great gusto only to abandon it after we lose interest. We also need to be careful not to overestimate the amount of energy we have to give to a project. We need to take off the superhero cape and remember that we are only human!
- Mercury begins its 3-week stay in Capricorn. (It will move into Aquarius on January 3.) While Mercury is in Cap, our thinking often becomes more methodical, serious, and practical. We usually experience improvements in our ability to concentrate, and our thinking and communication tends to be organized and logical. We suddenly may be able to see what is realistic, relevant, and essential about a situation that we are dealing with that has previously left us feeling confused and indecisive. However, we do need to avoid becoming too rigid in our thinking, which can cause us to come across to others as uncaring or unwilling to work together toward a common goal.
Overall, this New Moon in Sagittarius and solar eclipse are continuing the themes of change and transformation in our lives. Many of us know in our hearts that changes are needed, and some endings may have coincided with the partial lunar eclipse two weeks ago. However, because this is a full solar eclipse, any new beginnings happening now may be quite powerful, far-reaching, and profound. For some, this could come in the form of insights that suddenly help us understand a long-standing problem. For others, it could leave us feeling confused and more uncertain than ever, although this will usually only be the case if we resist necessary changes and we fight to maintain the old regime or old beliefs. The strong presence of Uranus is telling us that change is inevitable. It’s truly only a question of whether we will work cooperatively with this energy or try to resist it, which never goes over well when Uranus is involved. Although the reasons why these changes are needed may not be clear now, clarity will come eventually. For now, we need to be patient, trust in the process, and have faith that we are being lead toward increased health and happiness.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO RECEIVE NEW & FULL MOON REPORTS?
If you are not already on our email list, please be sure to join so you are guaranteed to receive her New & Full Moon Reports.
THIS BLOG POST WAS WRITTEN BY
- Anne Reith, Ph.D. (AnneReith.com)
- For information about Dr. Reith’s downloadable ebooks and meditations, feel free to visit her online Store
SOME INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
- The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
- Various online sources (e.g., www.cafeastrology.com)
- New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
New Moon at 13° of Sagittarius
- Friday, December 3, 2021, 11:42 p.m. PST
- Friday, December 4, 2021, 2:42 a.m. EST
- Friday, December 4, 2021, 7:42 a.m. GMT
Visit our Facebook page to receive Anne Reith’s daily inspirational quotes and announcements.
By Anne Reith, Ph.D.