NOTE: I hope you’ve all had a chance to review my most recent Blog post: Summary of the Major Astrological Influences for 2024. This next year is filled with powerful energy that may feel chaotic at times. The other day, I thought of an analogy for 2024: It’s like getting on a roller coaster ride at an amusement park; we can approach the ride with fear and trepidation or with excitement about the experience that our soul is about to have. Either way, growth is coming for us personally and on a societal level! It’s up to each of us to decide how we will handle it.
In the Pacific Time Zone, the New Moon will occur at 3:57 a.m. on Thursday, January 11. This New Moon finds the Moon and Sun conjunct (0°) at 20°44’ of Capricorn. To further clarify how this New Moon will impact you on a personal level, locate 20°44’ of Capricorn in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with that house are going to be most influenced by this New Moon’s presence. (NOTE: Click here to learn how to find the transiting Moon in your chart.)
New Moons always provide us with an opportunity for a new emotional start in the areas associated with the sign. This time, we are focused on Capricorn:
- The higher expression of this sign includes being responsible, practical, organized, disciplined, and patient. It also is related to leadership and being a hard worker.
- The lower expression can lead to being overly critical, too conventional, status-seeking, and materialistic.
In general, the annual New Moon in Capricorn is a time when we are ready to get organized, focus on issues of responsibility, and often simplify life in some way. Recently, we may have been contemplating several small or big changes. Now we have the motivation, energy, physical strength, and focus that is needed to push through obstacles and make progress.
As usual, there are various astrological aspects that are influencing the expression of this Capricorn New Moon:
- The feeling that we need to take action is even more likely because both Mars (energy) and Pluto (power) are also located in Capricorn. This means that 4 out of the 10 planets in our solar system are chomping at the bit to get down to work and create, solidify, or renovate structures in our lives.
- Not only are those 4 planets in Cap, but Mars is in a sweet sextile (60⁰) to Saturn, and Saturn is the ruler of Capricorn. If we do decide to take action, Mars in Cap will provide us with the patience we need, along with a strong work ethic, the ability to pay attention to detail, and the determination and courage to go after whatever we feel passionate about. At a conscious or subconscious level, we understand that now is one of those times when making slow and steady progress will be better than rushing. Often having Mars in Capricorn serves as a stabilizing factor that will support us in staying on task, even if there are unexpected surprises along the way.
- Additionally, Mars is in a supportive trine (120⁰) to Jupiter. This Mars-Jupiter aspect is considered to be one of the best indicators of success. It also stimulates a strong desire to achieve our personal goals, and we will have the confidence and inspiration needed to move forward.
- However, given that the New Moon is in a wide conjunction (0⁰) to Pluto, whatever we choose to pursue may require letting go of something that lightens our load. This could be almost anything but possibilities include physical possessions, finances, responsibilities, expectations, or even dreams or goals.
- Whatever we need to let go of may require some adjustments given that Uranus (change) is in a close inconjunct (150⁰) to the South Node. This indicates that it is time to let go of the past and embrace new goals. It will help us adjust if we remind ourselves that it’s normal for changes to feel a bit awkward at first.
- But help is available! Uranus is also in supportive trines (120⁰) to both the Sun and Moon. This can help us make those adjustments with relative ease once we decide to move forward. But the motto with Uranus is always “change or be changed.” Therefore, if we don’t do what is needed, then there is the possibility that the changes will come from outside influences that may take us by surprise. Be aware that changes made and actions taken now may be seen by others as rather innovative or possibly even unorthodox or rebellious.
- The Sun and Moon are actually the focal planets of a t-square, with the Sun/Moon squaring (90⁰) the North and South Nodes. In fact, the squares to the Nodes are exact at only 0⁰31’, which intensifies the impact of the t-square substantially. Additionally, Chiron joins this right triangle configuration by being in a conjunct (0⁰) to the North Node. All of this reinforces that something from our past (South Node) needs to be released in order for us to move forward toward our destiny (North Node) and heal (Chiron). Given the New Moon in Capricorn is in the focal position, this tells us that any of the issues that are related to Capricorn may be what needs to be released (e.g., structures, responsibilities). Also, with the Nodes currently located on the Aries/Libra axis, partnerships of any kind may need to be reviewed in order to make sure we have a good balance between independence and interdependence.
- Luckily, Mercury went direct on Monday, January 1, so our skills at thinking, communicating, and focusing mentally should be available to support our efforts. Just be aware that at the time of the New Moon, Mercury has backtracked into Sagittarius; therefore, we should be careful to think before we speak because fiery Sag can make our words come out with more force than was intended.
- However, things may not be completely clear yet. A close square (90⁰) between Mercury and Neptune does mean that some issues may still be a bit foggy. It could be that we may understand some of the picture, but not all of it. Luckily, there is potential for magic here if we can find a way to access and integrate both our rational mind (Mercury) with our creative, spiritual, idealistic mind (Neptune). With 4 planets in Capricorn, the good news is that we are being given permission to slow down, take our time to access needed information, and then take it one step at a time. There’s no need to rush.
- Neptune is also in supportive sextiles (60⁰) to the Sun and Moon. This adds creativity, compassion, and intuitive insights into the mix.
- Finally, a powerful exact trine (120⁰) between Venus and Chiron (orb of only 0⁰08’) may help us attract the support we need to make any needed changes. There is also the possibility of experiencing profound growth through healing old wounds.
In the days following the Capricorn New Moon, there are a few additional astrological influences to be aware of:
- On Saturday, January 13, Mercury leaves Sagittarius and rejoins the Capricorn party. It will remain in Cap until February 6. This 3-week period will increase our ability to plan, especially when it comes to any long-term goals. This truly is a great time to be thinking about our long-range plans and the structures that we want to create in our lives. Our mental processes will be sensible, practical, and down-to-earth. Moving through Capricorn will also improve our ability to think and communicate in an organized way. However, the energy of Cap can make our words seem rather authoritarian, which can be experienced by others as cold or aloof.
- As was explained in my Blog post about 2024 influences, Saturday, January 20, is an important day astrologically. It’s when Pluto finishes its recent retrograde back into Capricorn and returns to the progressive sign of Aquarius. It will remain in this new sign until September 1 when it once again returns for a brief return to Capricorn (September 1-November 19) before moving into Aquarius for a 20-year visit. Rather than repeat information, click here to read (or re-read) the section of the 2024 Blog post that provides an interpretation of Pluto in Aquarius and how different the energy will be from when Pluto is in Capricorn.
- On the same day (Saturday, January 20), the Sun moves out of Capricorn and joins Pluto in Aquarius. This next month is typically a time of year when we are looking forward and are ready to leave behind what is outdated. Our actions may be more innovative, inventive, and unconventional than during other times of the year. We feel a need for freedom and individuality, and we aren’t afraid to explore new ways of doing things. We may become interested in expanding our social network by participating in larger friendship groups and/or humanistic endeavors.
Overall, this New Moon in Capricorn is providing us with the energy, determination, and focus to get organized. This may require making responsible, carefully considered decisions to let go of something that is holding us back from pursuing the next step in our life script. In order to do this, we may need to break free from the past or from traditions that we have been holding onto for some reason. This may also mean making adjustments in our responsibilities or how we structure our lives.
Looking ahead, we have a special opportunity that begins on Saturday, January 27, and continues through April 1. On January 27, Uranus will end its retrograde phase and begin moving direct again. Any changes we have been contemplating over the past few months begin to have traction. But more importantly, when Uranus makes this directional change, it means that for about 2 months, all 10 of the planets in our solar system will be moving direct. To have all 10 planets moving direct at the same time is rare. It’s like the Universe is giving us a big green light. Although hard work will likely be involved, we are all well-advised to be ready to take advantage of this period of progress and momentum. We can use the time of the Capricorn New Moon to start getting organized so we are better ready to “hit the gas” once January 27 comes along.
- Anne Reith, Ph.D.©
THIS NEW MOON
New Moon at 20°44’ of Capricorn
- Thursday, January 11, 2024, 3:57 a.m. PST
- Thursday, January 11, 2024, 6:57 a.m. EST
- Thursday, January 11, 2024, 11:57 a.m. GMT
IMPACT OF ANY MOON EVENT
- All New Moons and Full Moons influence us for the 3 days before, the day of, and 3 days after the actual event.
- Anne’s Astrology Readings
- Training and mentoring sessions with Anne
- Anne’s Blog (Including additional posts about Astrological information)
- Anne’s Astrology courses
- Complete list of classes and workshops offered through IMPART
- Testimonials and reviews
- IMPART’s online Store
- Be sure to Join Anne’s Online Community to receive:
- New & Full Moon Reports.
- Announcements about class offerings, new Blog posts, and new online products when they become available.
- If you have additional questions, feel free to email us at Anne@AnneReith.com or call (714) 599-0017.
Visit our Facebook page to receive Anne Reith’s daily inspirational quotes and announcements.
By Anne Reith, Ph.D.