NEW MOON IN PISCES & SOLAR ECLIPSE – We need to use our courage and our intuition to break up stagnant energy (February 26, 2017)
A note to my dedicated readers: For the next few months, you may notice a shortened version of my Moon Updates. As soon as time permits, I will return to more a comprehensive coverage of astrological events.
In the Pacific Time Zone, the New Moon will occur at 6:58 a.m. on Sunday, February 26. This New Moon finds the Moon and Sun in conjunction (0°) at 9° of Pisces. To further clarify how this New Moon will impact you on a personal level, locate 9° of Pisces in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with that house are going to be most influenced by this New Moon’s presence.
New Moons always represent new beginnings and a chance to set new intentions in the areas associated with the sign. The annual New Moon in Pisces is usually a time that is filled with gentle, spiritually-oriented, compassionate, and easy going energy. However, several events occurring on or around this Pisces New Moon make this a time that is like pea soup; when the ingredients are combined, they can either create a horrible tasting concoction or a delicious delicacy. Remember that you have free will and can choose how you will use the ingredients.
- This New Moon in Pisces is also a Solar Eclipse. Remember that eclipses impact us not just on the day of the event. They are powerful and will be a catalyst for growth for the next six months, until the next set of eclipses occur. The Lunar Eclipse that occurred two weeks ago propelled us toward increasing our love of self, inner authority, and self-confidence. This Solar Eclipse in Pisces is very different due to other energies influencing it (see below). Although it may involve inner reflection, soul-searching, and even some tears, these are all in preparation for taking necessary actions in our lives. If we can move from fear to faith, then this can bring a time of amazing growth and healing.
- Luckily, we will get help moving from fear to faith from a very Mars-dominated time period, which will actually last for the next 4-5 months. During February, Mars is in its home sign of Aries, which intensifies the action planet’s influence. And Venus is also in Aries. The lower expression of the Aries energy can include impatience, frustration, anger, and even aggressiveness. The higher expression can be assertiveness, courage, fearlessness, and a willingness to move forward into uncharted territory.
- However, even with the emphasis in Mars, we can’t forget that there are six points in the softer energy of Pisces during this New Moon (i.e., Sun, Moon, Mercury, Neptune, Chiron, South Node). Given Pisces is a water sign, this will likely be a highly charged emotional time. And right around the New Moon, there will be a period of four days (February 25-28) when there will be no planets in fixed signs, which means that reality as we know it might may feel like a moving target as it constantly morphs into something new. Some of the changes we are undergoing may be predictable, but some aspects of this process will defy logic, reason, and may even cause us to question our sanity (although only temporarily). The best approach is to surrender to the experience, go with the flow, trust in Divine Order, and reframe any unexpected waves in the ocean of our lives as Spirit’s way of moving us in the direction of a new shore that contains our next learning opportunity.
- The Divine is also emphasized due to a conjunction (0°) between the New Moon and Mercury. During this time, we need to be very receptive to intuitive messages and guidance. Mercury just entered Pisces on Saturday, February 25. After the electric, stimulating mental energy of Mercury in Aquarius, we now feel our minds turn inward into the watery world of emotion. Our thinking becomes more intuitive, and focusing our attention on spiritual issues will feed (and soothe) our souls.
- But before you drift off into Piscean la-la land, another very powerful astrological configuration is also playing a very important and dynamic role in the creation of this soup that we are cooking. Jupiter is in opposition (180°) to Uranus and both planets are squaring (90°) Pluto (t-square configuration). And as if the influence of Mars wasn’t already strong enough (see above), it is in a very close conjunction (0°) to Uranus, which triggers this t-square pattern into action! I often compare t-squares to a horse that has a burr under its saddle; it will feel it and want to take action to take care of the problem (e.g., buck, drop the ground and roll onto its back). We may have been feeling for a few months that there has been something lurking in the wings. Whatever that is may suddenly come into center stage and demand our attention. Because Pluto is involved, we need to be sure that whatever actions we take are toward our healing and that we use our power for constructive and not destructive purposes. While all this is happening, a conjunction (0°) between Mercury and the South Node urges us to let go of any old attitudes or beliefs that need to be released. The Mars-Uranus energy could provide us with unexpected insights (Uranus) and give us the courage (Mars) to finally finish something that was long-overdue for an ending and/or to begin something we have been thinking about for some time but have been lacking the courage to pursue. We may feel like we can’t put it off any longer! The presence of Uranus means we may be able to see things from a new perspective, and the square between Mars and Pluto can provide us with the strength and fortitude to take necessary actions. Great advances are possible now and may even continue all the way through the first part of March. We just need to always be aware that the strong influence of Mars can cause us to be reckless and the presence of Uranus could prod us into being downright rebellious. We need to use our free will to choose the higher expressions of these energies and take the time to be sure that our actions are serving the highest good of all involved.
Overall, with the combination of so much Pisces and Aries/Mars energy (i.e., the last and first sign of the Zodiac, respectively), this will likely be a time when we experience significant endings and beginnings. Old patterns, situations, and relationships that have been self-defeating need to be released (Pisces) to make room for new adventures (Aries). It’s essential now that we move away from the lower expression of Pisces energy (e.g., martyrdom, victimization) and use the Aries energy to take responsibility for what we are thinking, how we are getting our needs met, what decisions we are making, and what the actions we are taking.
On Saturday, March 4, Venus will begin its retrograde phase in Aries, which will continue through April 14. As was discussed in the astrological overview of 2017, this is a very important part of this year. During this 6-week period, we need to focus our attention inward to determine whether our attitudes toward relationships and money are aligned with our personal values. It’s also a time of exploring whether we are engaged in adequate levels of self-care. Given this is happening in the sign of Aries, it’s important that we take actions to counter any problems we find during this self-exploration and self-analysis. This may not be a good time to make big purchases or to begin a new love relationship. Why? Because this is a time when we need to “invest in ourselves” and not in the external world. Luckily, the day after Venus begins this retrograde period (Sunday, March 5), Mars will trine (120°) Saturn, which will help start off this retrograde period with a willingness to take a responsible and self-disciplined path toward what we want to accomplish in all areas of our life.
Overall, this is a very dynamic New Moon in Pisces due to the Solar Eclipse and the influence of Mars and the t-square described above. The strong Piscean energy means that we do need to focus on unconditional love and compassion. We are well-advised to use our intuition, surrender, trust, and have faith. However, the Mars/Aries energy is pushing us to take actions that will dismantle anything that has become stagnant in our lives. We need to move forward purposefully, and the strong Mars/Aries influence will give us the courage to do this. But we do need to remember that action (Mars) without compassion (Pisces) can be destructive. Look at your life and explore where you need to start something new and courageously step forward. But given the strong Piscean influence, those steps need to be guided by your intuition, which means it may not be easy or even possible to explain why we are doing something. We have an opportunity over the next few weeks to tap into independent and fearless energy (Mars in Aries). To manage that energy, be sure to get adequate exercise. But after exercising, use the strong Pisces energy to meditate or go inward for spiritual guidance. In sum, remember, “You do not need to know precisely what is happening, or exactly where it is all going. What you need to recognize are the possibilities and challenges offered by the present moment, and to embrace them with courage, faith, and hope.” (Thomas Merton)
WOULD YOU LIKE TO RECEIVE NEW & FULL MOON REPORTS?
If you are not already on our email list, please be sure to join Anne Reith’s Online Community so you are guaranteed to receive her New & Full Moon Reports.
THIS BLOG POST WAS WRITTEN BY
- Anne Reith, Ph.D. (AnneReith.com)
- For information about Dr. Reith’s downloadable ebooks and meditations, feel free to visit her online Store
SOME INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
- The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
- Various online sources (e.g., www.cafeastrology.com)
- New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
New Moon at 9° of Pisces
- Sunday, February 26, 2017, 6:58 a.m. PST
- Sunday, February 26, 2017, 9:58 a.m. EST
- Sunday, February 26, 2017, 2:58 p.m. GMT