In the Pacific Time Zone, the New Moon will occur at 10:54 a.m. on Thursday, July 28. This New Moon finds the Moon and Sun conjunct (0°) at 5°38’ of Leo. To further clarify how this New Moon will impact you on a personal level, locate 5°38’ of Leo in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with that house are going to be most influenced by this New Moon’s presence.
New Moons always provide us with an opportunity for a new emotional start in the areas associated with the sign. This time, we are focused on Leo. The higher expression of this sign includes being self-confident, proud, bighearted, loving, romantic, idealistic, and a leader. However, the lower expression can include being overly dramatic, self-centered, and wanting to be the center of attention.
The planetary ruler of Leo is the Sun, which means that the Sun is powerfully positioned in its home sign during this New Moon. Most Leo New Moons are thought of as a wonderful annual event when the energy is more playful and confident than usual. It is true that this is a time of year when we may find we are able to shine our individual light into the world in the best possible way.
However, this New Moon might be a bit different than most. As most people know, the symbol associated with Leo is the lion. Using the characteristics of a lion, here are some ways in which this Leo New Moon might be expressed:
- Leo New Moons often bring exciting and fresh energy into our lives, but it can also come with a lot of drama. Think of the lion: When it wants to be heard, it doesn’t just softly meow like a domesticated housecat. It roars so everyone in the surrounding area is aware of its presence and will listen to what it has to say.
- Although the energy of a Leo New Moon is traditionally thought of as “lighthearted,” drama may be more prominent with this year’s event because several aspects indicate that challenges are likely. With Leo involved, certain types of challenges might be more difficult to respond to calmly, including threats to either our security (i.e., the lion will fiercely protect its territory or the safety of his family/pride) or our public reputation (i.e., the lion wants to be respected as the “King of the Jungle”).
- Luckily, the lion (like many cats) has pretty solid instincts when it comes to protecting itself and its family. If we choose to avoid a dramatic response and can calm ourselves, we can probably rely on our intuitive hunches when it comes to knowing how to respond to any challenges encountered during this time.
Although there are others, here are some of the reasons I’m saying that challenges may be more likely during the time of the Leo New Moon:
- As we have been discussing, Saturn is currently squaring (90°) the Nodal Axis, which will continue for the rest of 2022.
- And as I explained in the last Moon Update, Uranus has now joined this Saturn-Nodal Axis dance by being in a conjunction (0°) with the North Node. This means it is also in an opposition (180°) to the South Node and squaring (90°) Saturn. The influence of Uranus will continue for several more months. However, at the time of this Leo Full Moon, that conjunction between Uranus and the North Node (and the opposition to the South Node) is exact (0°42’), which means it’s extra powerful.
- Additionally, this time, Mars is also in a conjunction (0°) to Uranus and the North Node, which means it is also squaring (90°) Saturn and is in an opposition (180°) to the South Node.
- But there’s more! At the time of the New Moon, Mercury is in opposition (180°) to Saturn. This means it is squaring (90°) Mars, Uranus, the North Node, and the South Node.
WHEW! If you look at the astrological chart for this New Moon, you would see that all of this forms a big square in the sky above us. This pattern might be referred to as a grand square or a grand cross, but that would only be if all 4 corners of the square consisted of planets. This time, one of the corners is the South Node, which isn’t a planet (i.e., the Nodes are points in space and not objects). However, after analyzing the energies involved, I believe that this “grand cross” is very powerful and is actually behaving much like it would if it were a grand square or grand cross created by planets only.
So, what might all this mean in our lives? Grand crosses are tough! They are similar to t-square configurations, which we have discussed many times. T-squares demand change. But with a grand cross, there are twice as many squares (90°) and an additional opposition (180°). Grand crosses tell us that change is definitely needed, and they require that we balance the needs of all 4 corners of the square. I always use the analogy of a mobile hanging over a baby’s crib when explaining the action required of a grand cross: Just as in the case of a mobile, if one corner is ignored or given too much attention, then the entire mobile goes cattywampus.
So with this grand cross, what issues might be involved? Although it’s going to impact us all in unique ways depending on where it falls in our natal charts, here are some general possibilities:
- Given Saturn is in retrograde, it is likely that we are continuing the process of reviewing our responsibilities and any structures in our lives. This may involve determining what issues or events from our past might need to be healed and/or that might provide us with lessons that will guide us into a more stable foundation in the future.
- Uranus is the planet most associated with change, and Mars is the planet of action. Having both of them conjunct (0°) each other and involved in the grand cross means that the pace of change is likely to accelerate during the time of the New Moon
- Unfortunately, the impact of Uranus is sometimes sudden and unexpected, so those changes may seem to come “out of the blue.” If we resist needed changes, then be aware that change could be forced upon us, which is never a pleasant feeling. Our job is to flow with any unexpected changes and to remember that Uranus is trying to help us by bringing more freedom and authenticity. Its influence is a good thing, but it may not feel good in the moment.
- Then there’s Mercury opposing (180°) Saturn and squaring (90°) both the South Node and the Mars-Uranus-North Node conjunctions (0°). Mercury represents our thoughts and all forms of communication. Right now, its energy is intertwined both Mars (action) and Uranus (changes). This could mean that we may be ready to talk with someone about the changes we want to make in our lives, or it could be that someone may be ready to talk with us about the changes they want to make in theirs (which may impact our lives). It could also be that we need to make some adjustments in our thinking or how we communicate.
- This latter point is especially relevant now. Whenever Mercury squares (90°) Mars, there is the potential for us to feel defensive, which can lead to us choosing to use words as weapons. Remember, nothing in astrology is set in stone; it’s all about possibilities and free will choice. Therefore, it’s up to each of us to make healthy choices regarding how we express our needs to others and how we respond to the expressed needs of those we care about. As I always say, “It doesn’t matter what you say, but it does matter how you say it.”
- Although oppositions are often challenging because we are being asked to balance seeming different energies, this time the opposition (180°) between Mercury and Saturn may actually help us navigate the Mercury-Mars square that I just described. The opposition will require us to balance what we want to communicate (Mercury) with being responsible and mature (Saturn). Unfortunately, this opposition also has the potential for us to slip into fear, pessimism, or even depression. This lower expression is more likely if we are striving for things to be perfect. Yes, we can strive for high standards, but perfection is seldom attainable and is definitely not sustainable in the long run.
- Finally, let’s bring in the influence of the North and South Nodes. The South Node is currently in Scorpio, so the changes required of at this time us may require doing some deep psychological work in order to understand what happened in our past that is influencing our present. However, with the North Node in Taurus, we shouldn’t get “lost” in the depths of our psyches. This is especially true now because both Mars and Uranus are also in Taurus. Therefore, we should do our inner searching to identify what needs to be healed, but then we need to come up for air and let Taurus ground us (e.g., take care of our bodies, find inner peace, focus on simple pleasures).
I do want to briefly mention the other aspects that are impacting the expression of this powerful grand cross:
- A supportive trine (120°) between Mars and Chiron may help us to be good listeners and to understand that healthy, heart-felt communication provides a “safe space” for everyone to “speak our truth.” (NOTE: This provides support for making some of those changes in how we communicate that were previously mentioned.)
- But Chiron is also in a square (90°) to Venus, which means that the changes mentioned above may focus on our relationships, finances, or whatever we desire. This Venus-Chiron square usually makes us more emotionally sensitive. It may help to remind ourselves that even if something triggers old wounds, this is being spiritually orchestrated in order to help us heal.
- Luckily, additional support is provided in the form of trines (120°) between Jupiter and the Sun and Moon. Jupiter is the “happy-happy planet.” This could provide us with a renewed sense of optimism, increased hope about the future, and improved self-confidence regarding the changes we are making now or where those changes are going to lead us.
- However, the Sun and Moon are in weak “out-of-sign” opposition (180°) to powerhouse Pluto. This could mean that any emotional or mental fall-out from life transformations could be hard to contain, or we may need to deal with issues associated with the effective use of power versus force.
- Finally, some additional support is provided by sweet sextiles (60°) between Venus and the Mars-Uranus-North Node conjunction (0°). All these changes may actually provide opportunities for some new relationships or might lead to a positive change in our finances. Also, there is the ongoing influence of the Neptune-Pluto sextile (60°). This slow-moving aspect provides an overlay of spirituality. If we consciously tap into it, we might find the faith we need to believe that all of this is unfolding according to Divine Order and Divine Timing.
On the same day as the Leo New Moon (Thursday, July 28), Jupiter begins its annual retrograde period, which will continue through the end of November. During this time, we will be reviewing our beliefs about the world. This may involve reworking what and/or who we have faith in, including ourselves. It often marks a period of profound inner growth when we reevaluate and perhaps redefine our personal inner truth. As a result, when Jupiter turns direct in November, we may be ready to start going in a different direction in our lives.
Then on Wednesday, August 3, Mercury leaves Cancer and moves into Virgo, where it will stay until August 26. Virgo is one of the signs that Mercury rules, so it’s comfortable and extra powerful in this sign. This is a time when we want to bring order to chaos, which we do by analyzing what is or isn’t useful. Given so much has recently been changing in many of our lives, this can help us sort out what we have been going through and make sense of it. During this time, we become more focused on precision in all forms of communication. It is also a time when we are comfortable dealing with details, but we should be careful not to “lose sight of the forest for the trees.”
Overall, this Leo New Moon is a time when there may be an acceleration in the pace of change. This increase will definitely continue through at least the month of August, if not through the end of 2022. Many have recently spoken to me about feeling drained by all the changes they have recently been experiencing, so I recognize that this news may not be easy to hear. At the time of the New Moon, there are positive ways that we can tap into this energy, including channeling our energy into something or someone that we love or finding ways to have a good time even in the midst of change. If possible, we will benefit greatly if we can reframe any challenges or sudden changes as “opportunities” for growth and expansion. The good news is that we may have extra courage and self-confidence with which to do this. It will definitely help to be as open-minded and adaptable as possible given all of the unexpected changes and events that may come up. Finally, it’s always important to remember that Leo is associated with the heart chakra. No matter what comes up or which path we take, the lion is telling us that our greatest strength comes from leading with our heart and not our ego.
- Anne Reith, Ph.D.©
THIS FULL MOON
Full Moon at 5°38’ of Leo
- Thursday, July 28, 2022, 10:54 a.m. PDT
- Thursday, July 28, 2022, 1:54 p.m. EDT
- Thursday, July 28, 2022, 5:54 p.m. GMT
IMPACT OF ANY MOON EVENT
- All New Moons and Full Moons influence us for the 3 days before, the day of, and 3 days after the actual event.
- Anne’s Astrology Readings
- Training and mentoring sessions with Anne
- Anne’s Blog (Including additional posts about Astrological information)
- Anne’s Astrology courses
- Complete list of classes and workshops offered through IMPART
- Testimonials and reviews
- IMPART’s online Store
- Be sure to Join Anne’s Online Community to receive:
- New & Full Moon Reports.
- Announcements about class offerings, new Blog posts, and new online products when they become available.
- If you have additional questions, feel free to email us at Anne@AnneReith.com or call (714) 599-0017.
Visit our Facebook page to receive Anne Reith’s daily inspirational quotes and announcements.
By Anne Reith, Ph.D.