As I do at the beginning of each year, I will be covering (1) the current Moon Update, (2) an overview of any major events that are coming up astrologically in 2019, and (3) the year 2019 from a numerological perspective.
I hope that 2019 is a year filled with peace, love, and laughter for all of us! Happy New Year!!
New Moon in Capricorn & Solar Eclipse
In the Pacific Time Zone, the New Moon will occur at 5:28 p.m. on Saturday, January 5. This New Moon finds the Moon and Sun in conjunction (0°) at 16° of Capricorn. To further clarify how this New Moon will impact you on a personal level, locate 16° of Capricorn in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with that house are going to be most influenced by this New Moon’s presence.
All New Moons offer us opportunities for new emotional starts and setting new intentions or goals in areas related to the sign. With Capricorn, our focus is on issues related to responsibility, leadership, discipline, control, structure, and hard work. But this time, it’s not just the Sun and Moon that are located in Capricorn. We also have Mercury, Saturn, and Pluto in Capricorn. Even the South Node is in Capricorn. Actually, the Sun, Moon, Saturn, and Pluto are grouped so tightly together in Cap that they form a configuration called a stellium, which occurs when at least 4 or more planets are grouped together within about 10°. A stellium is considered especially strong if all the planets are in the same sign, which is the case here. This means that the sign involved (i.e., Capricorn) becomes incredibly important. And then there’s the Solar Eclipse happening at the same time as the Cap New Moon, which is basically the equivalent of turning on a flood light on everything!
NOTE: If you have your Natal/Birth Chart and know where 11°-20° of Capricorn is located in your natal chart, you may have a better idea what areas of your life are going to be impacted by this stellium.
How do we work with all of this? It means that none of us will be able to escape the influence of Capricorn right now. Stelliums create an intense focus of energy in that sign. Additionally, the planets involved in the stellium do not act independently but, instead, work as a unit. In this specific stellium, the quality of the energy of the specific planets is very diverse, which means their impact will likely be multi-faceted. In general:
- The Moon often is one of the most personal of planets (e.g., our inner world of emotions and daily habits). When in Capricorn, we need to take emotional responsibility for our lives and possibly make necessary changes in our routines and daily activities.
- The Sun is our basic identity and where we shine in the world. When in Capricorn, we need to look at where we need to “step up” and take responsibility. This may include taking a leadership role, but it could also mean that we need to take the reins of our own life.
- Saturn is about structure, boundaries, control, and disciple. Saturn is ruled by Capricorn, so one way to look at this is that Saturn is increasing the already incredibly strong emphasis on “all-things-Capricorn”! It could also mean that we have some lessons to be learned when it comes to Capricorn issues (e.g., discipline, leadership, structure).
- Pluto focuses on our use of power, as well as transformation and healing. While in Capricorn, we need to make sure that we are using our power and not our force to make changes in our personal lives and in the world around us. If we can do this, it can provide us with very powerful and long-standing changes in our psyches and lives.
As you can see, all 4 planets are acting from a basic foundation of Capricorn energy. We need to add into this mix the fact that Mercury (i.e., communication, thinking) just entered Capricorn on Friday, January 4, and the South Node (i.e., our past behavior or choices) is also in Cap. Overall, this 7-day period around the New Moon could be a time of reckoning, when our past choices catch up with us, especially if those choices weren’t particularly healthy ones. How this impacts each of us will vary, but we may be questioning whether we have set appropriate boundaries with ourselves or others. All of this self-analysis may be brought on by a recurrent of issues from our past that show us where we have not been living an authentic life, or at least a life that is not aligned with who we have become. These realizations could lead to important but serious conversations, healing, and transformation.
All of this will likely mean exploring how we deal with power and with external and internal authority. For example, are we expecting someone to come along and tell us how to live our lives? Or are we ready to make and follow-through on commitments to ourselves and to others? With Pluto in Capricorn, we are all being encouraged to look at whether we are using our power effectively, which includes looking at whether we are using self-discipline to get things done, taking responsibility when needed, and holding ourselves accountable for promises made.
But just a note here: The serious energy of Capricorn doesn’t need to be a “downer.” Actually, now is a good time to develop a healthy respect for and working relationship with the Capricorn energy. Yes, control, discipline, and leadership can become heavy-handed and even tyrannical when expressed at an extreme. However, a personal life or even a society without some limits, rules, and laws will likely lead to chaos. It’s all about finding a healthy balance between control and freedom. This balance helps us feel safe, stay on course toward our goals, and, thereby, leads to success.
Within hours of the Cap New Moon and Solar Eclipse, Uranus will begin moving direct again (Sunday, January 6). After about 5 months of contemplating what we want to change in our lives, it will now become abundantly clear what needs to change. Luckily, Mars just moved out of slow-moving, never-want-to-make-a-decision Pisces and into action-oriented Aries (Monday, December 31). Mars is the ruler of Aries, so it likes this sign. It’s like all traffic lights are green in the world of Mars in Aries. “Just do it!” might be its moto. We should all feel very energized during the entire month of January. Unlike the Piscean energy, we are now ready to make bold, courageous decisions. Many of us will feel motivated to take action on all those new ideas that have been stewing on the back burner while Uranus was moving retrograde. Our goals have become clearer, and we are motivated to achieve them. Luckily, all the Capricorn energy means that we understand that change often takes time and requires a long-term commitment. We now have the patience to see things through and are committed for the long haul.
By the way, it is worth mentioning that once Uranus begins moving direct, we will have no planets in retrograde until Mercury goes retrograde on March 5. After last summer’s “season of retrogrades,” which included periods of time with as many as six planets in retrograde at the same time, this 2-month period of time will feel very different. When planets are in retrograde, all of us have our attention focused inward. When moving direct, a planet’s energy is readily available and focused outward. With so little retrograde energy influencing us, everything will be more accessible and straightforward. We may be experiencing insights and awakenings as we see things in new ways and are ready to start taking actions and making the changes that felt very illusive over the summer months. It’s a good time to take actions that have been in the “planning stages” for some time. If we have done the work called for during the retrograde phases, those changes will be aligned with our desires and will likely meet with success.
Before leaving our discussion of the Cap New Moon and Solar Eclipse, it is worth mentioning several aspects happening during this time period:
- The Sun, Moon and Saturn (part of the stellium discussed above) are all in a sweet sextile (60°) to Neptune. This adds elements of spirituality, intuition, and emotional healing to the discussion of above. We may find we are in the right place at the right time. This isn’t just chance or luck; it actually occurs when we follow our internal hunches or inklings. This is also a great time to begin self-improvement programs and/or to bring a vision into concrete form.
- Mercury in Capricorn is squaring (90°) a conjunction (0°) between Mars and Chiron. We will likely be talking about, making decisions, and taking actions that support our healing. However, to move forward, we understand that it’s going to take discipline and commitment.
- Mercury trines (120°) Uranus, which will make us much more open to new ways of thinking and possibly even communicating, which will support the opportunity for growth, healing, and transformation mentioned above.
- Venus is in a supportive trine (120°) to Chiron which supports healing within our personal relationships and/or in our relationship to money/finances. We may be able to heal old wounds in these areas and even create (or re-create) trust. Some of us may even be ready to make a commitment to whatever we love or desire.
Because Venus recently went retrograde, it spent most of October and November in Scorpio. On Monday, January 7, it will finally move into Sagittarius, where it will remain until February 4. After spending an unusually long time in the heavy, intense, passionate energy of Scorpio, Venus’s move into Sag means that it is ready to let loose and dance until the Sun comes up. We may feel drawn to many different types of people or relationships, but we aren’t ready to be too serious about any of them. We don’t want anything to be too complex right now. We simply want to have fun; however, we want to feel safe while doing it, so honesty and integrity are key.
Then on Sunday, January 13, we have the first of three squares (90°) between Jupiter and Neptune. These three contacts between the planet of expansion and the planet of spirituality will bridge most of 2019 (see discussion below). During this first contact, we may feel more inclined to get involved in humanitarian efforts or motivated to do something that brings us into contact with people from diverse backgrounds. We aren’t as concerned about practicalities right now, so paying attention to details could be a bit of a challenge. But our overarching goal is to engage in anything that increases our faith and spiritual connection, which may involve using our compassion and generosity. Luck could come through intuitive hunches that are hard to explain, so we need to “trust our gut.” We are also willing to make personal sacrifices, but only if it’s done in an integrous manner and serves our greater purpose of personal learning and growth.
Overall, this 7-day period of time around the Capricorn New Moon and Solar Eclipse could best be described as “serious.” It’s time to “step up,” which may involve taking responsibility for something outside ourselves or it may be time for us to use inner disciple to master ourselves . . . or both! We need to commit to a path and then make necessary changes so we are not diverted or distracted from our goal. We are ready to succeed, but this may require facing something about our past and letting go of old behaviors or thought patterns that have been hindering our progress. Luckily, the entire month of January is fueled by the energy and courage of Mars in Aries and the support of Uranus (change!) going direct again. Therefore, now is a good time to “go for it”! We may have to let go of something that has provided us with a sense of security, but without change there is stagnation. Start off the new year with a bang and shake things up a bit. Remember that courage means being afraid and doing it anyway.
Major Astrological Events of 2019
As 2019 unfolds, I will be exploring all of the following astrological influences in much more detail, but here’s a sneak peek at what is coming up.
- Saturn and Pluto will basically be in a conjunction (0°) in Capricorn all year. Jupiter will eventually catch up with them in 2020, and this will make 2020 an incredibly powerful year! Until that time, 2019 is when we are preparing for that triple conjunction. We are being asked to make needed changes to issues related to boundaries, control, discipline, laws, and rules. Many of us should be seeking a new understanding of these topics in our personal lives and in society. Questions might include, “Am I saying yes when I really mean no?”, “Are my boundaries too firm and do I need to let others help me?”, “Who is responsible for X?”, “Who has the power to set the rules?”, “Which rules do I personally want to follow, and which am I willing to break?”, etc. Although some astrologers are predicting that 2019 could be tumultuous, it doesn’t have to be. Although asking questions such as these can cause changes (especially in relationships), they are intended to help us all look for the middle ground so we can all get along. There are times during 2019 when this influence will be stronger; these include January-February (i.e., right now), May-June, and October-November. It may be helpful to frame any changes related to boundaries as a 3-part process, with each stage occurring during these more active time periods. In other words, growth doesn’t have to happen all at once . . . it will likely come in stages.
- At the same time that Saturn and Pluto are stirring things up, we will have a year-long series of squares (90°) between Jupiter in Sagittarius and Neptune in Pisces. Both are in their home signs, so they are very powerful. Although squares do represent turning points, both Sag and Pisces are mutable signs, which means they provide flexible, adaptable energy. Jupiter in Sag brings a playful, light-hearted energy, and Neptune in Pisces increases our intuitive abilities and interest in spiritual issues. Although the conjunction between Saturn and Pluto is a pretty heavy energy, this square between Jupiter and Neptune can help us make any necessary changes in a lighthearted way. This is especially true if we can approach any changes in a fun, playful way and rely on our faith and connection to the Divine.
- As of March 7, Uranus will finally move into Taurus for a 7-year stay. It briefly ventured into Taurus during 2018, but then it backed into Aries again for one final visit. Uranus is all about changing things and breaking with the past in order to move into a better future. While in Aries, Uranus made bold, energetic changes that were often sudden and unexpected. Taurus (the bull) is a very different energy. It prefers to move S-L-O-W-L-Y. Therefore, any changes may be more manageable and will also be practical and down-to-earth. However, don’t forget that the energy of Uranus will not be thwarted. Change is necessary. While traveling through Taurus, we may be asked to look at what we might be overly attached to and where we feel a need for control. If we aren’t amenable to make changes in these areas willingly, then the Uranus energy will bring something unexpected to get you to face “reality.” Another way in which Uranus in Taurus may impact us is by bringing changes to our finances that are meant to create a better foundation upon which to build something new.
Given the overarching astrological influences during 2019, we would do best to let go of our need to be in control or our desire to have things a certain way. This isn’t always easy, but the playful energy of the Jupiter/Neptune square in mutable planets will support us in flowing with life and not getting bogged down in our own expectations and beliefs. It’s important that we create new ways of doing things, increase our trust in Spirit, and make any changes with a light heart and faith that we are moving in the right direction.
Numerology in the Year 2019
For those interested in numerology, 2019 is a 3 Universal Year (i.e., 2019 = 2 + 0 + 1 + 9 = 12 = 1 + 2 = 3). Everyone on the planet is influenced by the energy of the Universal Year number, so it is a subtle, collective experience. I once heard it described as the “landscape” through which we are all driving. In numerology, the influence of the Universal Year number is believed to fade during the last three months of the year. Therefore, by January 1, 2019, many of us may have already started to experience the waning influence of the 2 Universal Year and are beginning to feel the energy of a 3 Universal Year.
Where 2 Universal Years (2018) are about partnerships, 3 Universal Years (2019) are about expanding those partnerships and forming social groups. However, 2018 was a different type of 2 Universal Year because the calculation included the Master Number 11 (i.e., 2 + 0 + 1 + 8 = 11). Many numerologists (including me) recommended that we not reduce the 11 vibration to a 2 vibration. The 11 Master Number meant that many of us found ourselves facing some important life lessons that involved mastering spirituality, intuition, creativity, healing, leadership, and collaborations. For some, 2018 felt like a “hurry up and wait” kind of year that felt full of external blocks to our progress. But as I mentioned last January, those blocks were actually spiritually-guided opportunities to learn important lessons. These Master-level lessons were designed to better prepare us to be successful in meeting our eventual goals or may have actually rerouted us onto an entirely different path.
Luckily, the energy of 2019 will be much easier and more free-flowing. With 3 Universal Years, our focus will be on expressing ourselves. We want to express our truth. For some, this will include taking steps toward authentically living what we feel to be our life path or life purpose. We will want to be around like-minded others, and we should seek out their support. This would be a good year to also work with a teacher or coach who can support us in our self-expression.
Creativity is enhanced during 3 Universal Years, so this would be a great year for those who are writers, musicians, artists, etc. We all also will benefit from looking for the beauty around us and possibly making some improvements in our home environment. Some may feel drawn to travel, especially if it is to a beautiful location, involves learning or creative activities, and/or includes people that we enjoy and that share our vision for the future.
2019 can be a year of great expansion, growth, and even good luck. It’s a time to reap the benefits of all those Master-level lessons we learned during the previous 11 Universal Year. Some of the keywords for this year include enjoyment, happiness, fun, and living well. Therefore, let’s all have a wonderful beginning to what may be a pretty magical year!
WOULD YOU LIKE TO RECEIVE NEW & FULL MOON REPORTS?
If you are not already on our email list, please be sure to join so you are guaranteed to receive her New & Full Moon Reports.
THIS BLOG POST WAS WRITTEN BY
- Anne Reith, Ph.D. (AnneReith.com)
- For information about Dr. Reith’s downloadable ebooks and meditations, feel free to visit her online Store
SOME INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
- The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
- Various online sources (e.g., www.cafeastrology.com)
- New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
New Moon at 16° of Capricorn
- Saturday, January 5, 2019, 5:28 p.m. PST
- Saturday, January 5, 2019, 8:28 p.m. EST
- Sunday, January 6, 2019, 1:28 a.m. GMT