NEW MOON IN AQUARIUS – Patience and perseverance (January 27, 2017)
In the Pacific Time Zone, the New Moon will occur at 4:06 p.m. on Friday, January 27. This New Moon finds the Moon and Sun in conjunction (0°) at 9° of Aquarius. To further clarify how this New Moon will impact you on a personal level, locate 9° of Aquarius in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with that house are going to be most influenced by this New Moon’s presence.
New Moons always represent new beginnings and a chance to set new intentions in the areas associated with the sign. Keywords associated with Aquarius include independence, originality, inventiveness, and humanitarianism. The lower expression of the water bearer includes being eccentric, rebellious, and stubborn. Its focus is on how “we are all one” in the great cosmos of the universe. Because it believes so strongly in this principle, the Aquarius energy often feels like it’s carrying the weight of the world on its shoulders . . . although this often translates to having an “over developed responsibility muscle” when it comes to our immediate social environment (e.g., family, work, community, groups we belong to).
With an Aquarian New Moon, it’s likely that we may be craving more independence in one or more areas of our lives. This tendency is reinforced because Mars, the action planet, moves out of wishy-washy Pisces and into action-oriented Aries just five hours after the Aquarius New Moon. Mars will stay in Aries until March 11, but its movement into Aries kicks off a four or five month period of dynamic energy. For now, Mars feels very comfortable and therefore empowered in Aries because Mars is the ruler of this sign. This is a time we often feel confident and courageous, and we may feel ready to venture into new territory, take risks, and assert ourselves in new ways. There could even be a need for rebellion and fighting to have our opinions be heard. However, it is important to avoid the lower expression of this energy, which includes being impatient, impulsive, overly competitive, and even aggressive or arrogant. We have abundant energy to get things done now, but we all need to remember that our actions can have negative repercussions if the needs and opinions of others aren’t taken into consideration.
This is particularly important because a square (90°) between Venus and Saturn at the time of the New Moon could put a damper on relationships, finances, or both. This isn’t a time to make any major decisions in either area of our lives, especially not impulsive ones. Feeling pessimistic is common with this aspect, and we may feel thwarted in our efforts to get what we desire. Although hard to do, the best use of this energy is to gain more clarity regarding challenging situations before changing course. Additionally, we can be more willing than usual to work hard and even take on added responsibility if it involves something we desire.
This New Moon is also happening when Jupiter is in opposition (180°) to Uranus. The impact of this opposition has actually been in effect for several weeks and will continue for several more. But because Uranus is the ruler of Aquarius, this New Moon kicks the power of this opposition up a notch. It is likely many of us have been feeling the pervasive need to change things in our lives so we can live a more authentic life. With this occurring at the time of the social, community-oriented Aquarius New Moon, we may be seeking out like-minded others. We crave a feeling of connectedness, which is fine. However, we need to avoid moving into a position of believing that the group’s values are the only way to live life. Aquarius is a fixed air sign, and the lower expression of its energy can be rigid, inflexible belief systems.
Luckily, the day after the Aquarius New Moon (Saturday, January 28) sees a series of supportive aspects that will help us make decisions that are for the highest good of all involved. The Moon will (a) sextile (60°) Uranus, (b) trine (120°) Jupiter, and (c) sextile (60°) Saturn. All of this will help us feel more optimistic than usual and emotionally ready to break with routines and try something new. It will also help us to be dedicated to making any necessary shifts in our lives in a responsible manner, be willing to put in the time and effort needed to make those changes, and be determined to make clear-headed decisions that honor both our inner code of ethics and respect others in the process.
And the next day (Sunday, January 29), Mercury will be conjunct (0°) Pluto in Capricorn. This can bring on some profound thoughts that can help us clearly see what we need to see. This will support us in thinking things through carefully, seeing both the surface and deeper issues involved in any issue, and making decisions that could transform and heal our lives. However, we do need to be careful with this aspect. Anytime Pluto is involved, issues of power are likely involved, and Capricorn’s energy can be rigid and controlling. With a Mercury-Pluto conjunction, we could lose sight of anything other than our own point-of-view, which could result in stepping on the toes of those around us, even those we have no intention of hurting. Our words carry a lot of power right now, and we need to use them for healing and not as a weapon.
On Tuesday, January 31, Mercury will square (90°) Uranus. Look out for unpredictability that is designed to get us to look at things differently. We may feel nervous, jittery, or on “energy overload.” Be forewarned that most of us may be rather mentally scattered, but flashes of insights and new ideas are very possible. Others may not understand what we are trying to communicate, so it may be best to postpone presenting our new ideas for at least a day or two.
The first week of February sees 3 planets taking center stage in the “astrological news”:
- On Friday, February 3, Venus moves out of Pisces and joins Mars into Aries. Normally, Venus remains in one sign for only about 5 weeks. However, because Venus go retrograde in Aries starting in March, this means that Venus will remain in Aries for 4 months rather than 5 weeks. Venus in Aries reinforces the trend of independence that began during the Aquarius New Moon and Mars moving into Aries. When Venus is in the independent sign of Aries, it’s time to be honest with those we care about and also find new ways to love ourselves. We may feel ready to take some risks in the areas of romance or money. However, if it’s something about which we feel very passionate, it may be best to wait before taking action until we have done our research and can see things from all angles. And while going through its retrograde period, we will likely need to look inward to find out how we aren’t taking care of ourselves emotionally or financially.
- Jupiter, which is in Libra, begins its annual 4-month retrograde period on Sunday, February 5. All Jupiter retrograde periods are times of spiritual and philosophical introspection. Given this is occurring in the sign of Libra, relationships will be a major focus of our inner work. We may have gone through a period of major growth recently, and it’s time to reassess all types of relationships to make sure they are aligned with our new values. We should focus on identifying what we need in order to feel as much harmony and balance as possible with those in our lives. Now is a time to take stock and make sure everything is in order, particularly within our relationships, before moving into new areas of growth and development.
- Mercury moves out of Capricorn on Tuesday, February 7, and into Aquarius, where it will remain for about three weeks. Having Mercury in Aquarius means we will likely be feeling hungry for more and more knowledge. It’s a great time to start or to deepen any course of study. We will be open to new, innovative ideas, and we might even consider options that would normally be too “out there” for us. Luckily, this placement also means that our minds will be more objective, which can help us reduce any “emotionality” in our decision making. We just need to be a bit cautious because our thoughts and communication can be a bit fragmented due to so many “unusual-for-us” thoughts moving through our minds during this time.
Overall, this Aquarius New Moon and the astrological events occurring around it are all pointing to taking steps that lead to more independence, being aligned with our values, and living according to our own inner truth and values. Having Mars move into action-oriented Aries on the day of the New Moon means that any long-awaited changes may be ready to move out of the wings and onto center stage. This need for change is further supported by the opposition between Jupiter and Uranus and by Venus moving into Aries. Mercury moving into Aquarius will help us be more objective and open to creative problem solving. However, several aspects and planetary movements encourage us to think things through carefully, take responsible action, and remember that those around us may not feel as excited as we do about the changes that we want to make. Jupiter is in Libra right now, which provides us with support in being diplomatic within all of our relationships, if we consciously choose to use that energy. Those who truly do care about us will likely adjust, but it may take some time. So remember, “Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.” (John Quincy Adams)
WOULD YOU LIKE TO RECEIVE NEW & FULL MOON REPORTS?
If you are not already on our email list, please be sure to join Anne Reith’s Online Community so you are guaranteed to receive her New & Full Moon Reports.
THIS BLOG POST WAS WRITTEN BY
- Anne Reith, Ph.D. (AnneReith.com)
- For information about Dr. Reith’s downloadable ebooks and meditations, feel free to visit her online Store
SOME INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
- The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
- Various online sources (e.g., www.cafeastrology.com)
- New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
New Moon at 9° of Aquarius
- Friday, January 27, 2017, 4:06 p.m. PST
- Friday, January 27, 2017, 7:06 p.m.. EST
- Saturday, January 28, 2017, 12:06 a.m. GMT