FULL MOON IN LEO & LUNAR ECLIPSE – Taking a leap of faith with a smile on our face (January 20, 2019)
In the Pacific Time Zone, the Moon will be full at 9:15 p.m. on Sunday, January 20. With this Full Moon, the Sun in Aquarius will be in opposition (180°) to the Moon in Leo. To further clarify how this Full Moon will impact you on a personal level, locate 1° of Aquarius and 1° of Leo in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with those two houses are going to be most impacted by this Full Moon’s presence.
My goodness! This is one heck of a powerful Leo Full Moon! It is a Lunar Eclipse, and eclipses always add power and importance to the astrological influences occurring at that time. And this Full Moon is also a SuperMoon, meaning it’s one of the times when the Moon will be at its closest approach to the Earth, increasing the gravitational pull on tides, tectonic plates, psyches, and emotions. Additionally, this Full Moon is happening within the first degree of both Leo and Aquarius (0°51’). The first degree of any sign is a powerful point of new beginnings for the issues involved in the sign. All of this means that we need to pay attention to this Full Moon!
With this Leo Full Moon, we are being asked to explore whether we have good balance between the issues associated with the signs of Leo and Aquarius. Keywords associated with Leo are self-confidence, loyalty, love, and leadership. Its focus is on creating and expressing our unique gifts. Keywords associated with Aquarius include independence, individuality, social, and humanitarianism. This sign is about how we can use Leo’s unique gifts to contribute to the world around us.
But this is anything but a straight forward Leo Full Moon. There are numerous astrological aspects that make this powerhouse lunar event extremely complex. Unfortunately, due to time constraints on my part, I’m not going be able to give everyone my usual careful analysis of each aspect. Instead, I’m going to make a valiant effort to summarize some of the more likely influences.
- Although we do need to make sure we are giving back to humanity in some way (Aquarius), the emphasis during this Full Moon will likely be on Leo. Although the Sun is located in the first degree of Aquarius, it is conjunct (0°) Mercury, Pluto, and the South Node, all of which are in Capricorn. And Saturn is also in Capricorn, its home sign making it extra powerful. So, there’s a heavy emphasis during this Full Moon in the area of the Sun. This means that we do want to make a contribution of some kind, but it’s extra important that what we creatively express is uniquely ours. We may be feeling unsettled or even trapped in some “old ways,” and we are ready to break free and feel a need to put ourselves “out there.” Something that has been brewing for some time is ready to be “born.”
- There are several indications that we will be both (a) committed to our own unique path and ready to take this leap of faith and (b) feeling vulnerable and uncertain. The Full Moon is part of a t-square (right triangle). The focal planet of any t-square shows us “the way,” and this time the focal planet is Uranus . . . the planet of change. Yes, it certainly seems like it is time to stir things up, and it’s understandable that we may be feeling both ready and scared at the same time. Some type of perceived risk may be involved, and we may feel frustrated at times. However, it is very likely that we have been in the planning phase for a while. We are ready! We need to take that leap and reframe fear as excitement. Uranus can also indicate rebellion, and that may be what is needed to get ourselves out of a rut and/or to move past those fears. The presence of Uranus also means that we will benefit from trusting that any unexpected events are actually Divinely planned to get us going where our soul needs to go (but may be too afraid to see). “Let go and let God” would be a good affirmation right now.
- Luckily, there are aspects that will support us in thinking deeply before taking this leap. We just don’t want to experience the “paralysis of analysis,” which could keep us from taking those initial steps. Now is a wonderfully supportive time to “go for it” in some way. If we stay frozen in fear or talk ourselves out of doing this, it is likely to lead to regret over a missed opportunity. Therefore, we need to consciously not overthink things. Instead, we should consciously tap into the potential for deep thinking to make sure we have all of our ducks in a row before acting. Just remember that it’s impossible to take into consideration every contingency. We have to have faith that no matter what happens, we can handle it . . . because we can!
- The way to work though any fears or self-doubts right now is to use the wonderful annual conjunction (0°) between Venus and Jupiter to be playful and optimistic about any changes. These two “benefics” (positive planets) are in a supportive trine (120°) to Mars. This will support us in being courageous and taking action, but only if we maintain a light-hearted approach and stay in the moment. With all three of these planets being in fire signs (Sag and Aries), taking action is strongly indicated.
- However, as I mentioned above, this lunar event is complex. Venus and Jupiter are in a wonderful trine to Mars (see above), but they are also squaring (90°) Neptune. We could become mentally confused, emotionally fearful, or even easily misled or disillusioned. This is an important time to use our trust and faith in the Divine to steer our ship through the Neptunian fog. If we can trust our intuition, we often “know” the way and just need to trust ourselves. Using the light-heartedness of the Venus-Jupiter conjunct will help a great deal.
- The North Node in Cancer and the South Node in Capricorn are conjunct the Moon and Sun, respectively. We need to realize the importance of moving out of the past and into a much better future. In the past, Cap’s energy helped us build a solid foundation, and now we have to trust whatever structures we have built (both internally and externally) and start letting down our guard a bit (Cancer). This vulnerability will let the world see who we really are, which is exactly what this Leo Full Moon is all about (i.e., sharing our unique gifts with the world). Again, we are ready! And when we get scared, we need to avoid running and hiding. Instead we need to nurture ourselves through our fear.
On Wednesday, January 23, Mercury moves out of Capricorn and into Aquarius. While in Capricorn, Mercury is often focused on the past. The next three weeks (until February 11), should be filled with more progressive, future-focused thoughts, which is great timing for all those changes that started around the time of the Leo Full Moon. We are hungry for knowledge and open to new ideas. One of the hallmarks of Mercury in Aquarius is thinking outside the box, so let your mind wander and ponder things that normally would be considered “out there.” We may be a bit mentally scattered, but we may also have brilliant ideas come to us seemingly out of nowhere.
In the next Moon update, we’ll talk more about the sextile (60°) between Saturn and Neptune that will be exact on Thursday, January 31. For now, be aware that its influence will start building during the last week of January. As is true with all sextiles, we need to take conscious advantage of this potential or its potential gifts will be lost. It’s a good time to convert our dreams into reality. The entire year will be under the influence of the Saturn-Neptune sextile, but the best time to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity is when the aspect is exact. Given this is only the first of three exact Saturn-Neptune sextiles occurring this year (the others occurring in June and November), we could think about this as the preparation phase when we think about what we DO want to see come into concrete form, and perhaps start creating a plan to make it happen.
Overall, this Leo Full Moon and Lunar Eclipse could be a delightful time but also a serious time. The energy is creating an interesting blend, much like a delicious soup with many ingredients. There is great potential to start or achieve something we have been thinking about for some time; but to accomplish this, we will need to move past our fears and self-doubts. We need to believe in ourselves, enjoy any social interactions, and shine our unique light into the world as our gift to humanity. Given this is a complex time, we may feel pushed and pulled in many different directions. But we will get through if we keep the faith, move through the fear, and keep a smile on our face.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO RECEIVE NEW & FULL MOON REPORTS?
If you are not already on our email list, please be sure to join so you are guaranteed to receive her New & Full Moon Reports.
THIS BLOG POST WAS WRITTEN BY
- Anne Reith, Ph.D. (AnneReith.com)
- For information about Dr. Reith’s downloadable ebooks and meditations, feel free to visit her online Store
SOME INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
- The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
- Various online sources (e.g., www.cafeastrology.com)
- New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
Full Moon at 1° of Leo
- Sunday, January 20, 2019, 9:15 p.m. PST
- Monday, January 21, 2019, 12:15 a.m. EST
- Monday, January 21, 2019, 5:15 a.m. GMT