Understanding Grief: How to Assist Those Who Are Grieving
Instructor: Anne Reith, Ph.D.
Anne always says, “This class should be mandatory for every high school student.”
Because we are human, life will involve the eventual loss of someone or something that is important to us. Based on her many years as a Psychologist, during which time she specialized in the grief and loss process, Anne will present information that will help you better understand this process for yourself and for those around you.
During this workshop, you will learn about the stages of grief, factors that alter the process of grieving, and how to be an effective “helper” (e.g., what to say, what not to say). Various special topics will be covered including:
- “Anticipatory” grief
- Children who have lost a parent
- “Complicated” grief
- Dealing with “special days”
- “Delayed” grief
- Differences due to age, gender, culture, and religious beliefs
- Differences due to type of loss (e.g., loss of a spouse, parent, child, accidental death, prolonged illness, suicide, homicide, pet)
- Helping those who are dying
- Supporting the elderly and those in “hospice”
- 8 characteristics of visitation dreams
Workshop Objectives for Understanding Grief
- Teach everyone how to support themselves and others through the grieving process
- Prepare “helping professionals” (e.g., mediums, psychics, healers, nurses, hypnotherapists, the clergy) to compassionately bear witness to someone during one of the most vulnerable points in most people’s lives . . . grieving the loss of a loved one
- Explore different types of grief and different ways of grieving
- Teach effective communication skills with those who are going through a loss of any kind
What is Included in the Understanding Grief Workshop
- An extensive 59-page manual with reference material
- 6 hours of instruction with time for questions
- Information on the typical stages of grief
- Discussion about how to best support someone who is grieving (e.g., what to say, what not to say)
- Information about the typical reactions to different type of losses (e.g., loss of a pet, expected versus unexpected deaths, losses due to suicide/homicide)
- Insight into complicated grief reactions (e.g., what is “normal” and what isn’t)
- Tips for how to take care of ourselves if we are in the role of a caregiver
- Questionnaire designed to help you explore your personal beliefs and attitudes about death and dying (not completed in class but is designed for private exploration)
How to Repeat the Understanding Grief Workshop FREE
Students who have previously taken (i.e., paid for) this workshop with Anne are welcome to attend for FREE. We will need to confirm your attendance in our database. Once confirmed, you must let us know that you plan to attend, and you will be responsible for using the manual originally provided to you. (NOTE: If you need a new manual, you can purchase for a minimal fee.)
Here’s What Students Are Saying About Anne’s Understanding Grief Workshop
“Anne is an excellent teacher and has a knack for broaching a tough subject with grace and practical examples. I feel more equipped to assist those who are grieving now that I have taken this class.” (L.M., Orange, California) 5 stars
“I always appreciate Anne’s professionalism and experience; especially with such a taboo topic as death. I feel better equipped now to heal mankind.” (K.R., Carson, California) 5 stars
“I really learned a lot about grieving, especially complicated grief. I liked the way that Anne took the time to explain each step in the grieving process, bringing in practical examples on each topic she was discussing. An excellent workshop, very informative. I’d recommend it for everybody-lots of material to reflect and digest. Great job!” (K.V., Pasadena, CA) 5 stars
“I liked the explicit teaching with examples. I also appreciate the opportunities for students to comment because those personal experiences help me to make connections to the new material.” (L.H., Irvine, California) 5 stars
Understanding Grief Inquiry Form
Registration Information for the Understanding Grief Workshop
DATE: The next date is currently being selected. To provide input regarding the date of this and other IMPART classes, please be sure to join Anne’s Online Community. In the meantime, please check Anne’s Calendar regularly.
TIME: Noon-6:00 p.m. Pacific Time (Click here for time zone converter)
ZOOM: Preregistered students will be sent logon information and the manual on the morning of the class (see additional NOTE below about this ZOOM webinar)
REGISTRATION: Preregistration is required for this course! To preregister, contact us at Anne@AnneReith.com or call (714) 599-0017 or fill out the form above.
- Optional Payment Plans**
- 2 payments of $75
- 3 payments of $55
**Payment plans include an administration fee.
PAYMENT PLAN POLICIES:
- You may select the dates on which the payments are to be made.
- Registration in the class is not confirmed until you have provided either (a) credit card authorization, (b) post-dated checks, and/or (c) previously purchased IMPART Vouchers.
- It is expected that all payments will be made before the class date.
- PayPal, credit card payments, check, and previously purchased IMPART vouchers are accepted for this class.
- NOTE: If checks or previously purchased IMPART Vouchers are used, they must be received by mail at least 1 week prior to the date of the class. IOU’s will not be accepted.
NOTE: IMPART uses PayPal as our method of invoicing and for processing payments made with a credit card provided over the phone. If your method of payment is PayPal and if a refund is approved, then the refunded amount will be the total that was charged, minus the PayPal merchant fees (i.e., 2.9% of the total plus a 30¢ transaction fee). Click here for information about IMPART’s Refund Policies.
- This Understanding Grief class will be offered as a Zoom webinar. Please be aware that if you would like to ask questions, you will need to log in using the Zoom program. Questions cannot be asked if you are only accessing the webinar by calling in. Additionally, there will be no “chat” function available, so you cannot submit a question in writing during the class. The manual will be provided to you as an attachment in PDF format.
- This class is strongly recommended for ALL students of psychic development, mediumship, and the healing arts.
- For those previously enrolled students who are finishing their IMPART Mediumship Certification, this workshop is REQUIRED.
- For more information about Anne’s classes, see FAQ’s About Classes & Workshops and Anne’s Calendar.
Visit our Facebook page to receive Anne Reith’s daily inspirational quotes and announcements.
By Anne Reith, Ph.D.