TITLE: FULL MOON IN LIBRA & LUNAR ECLIPSE – Compassion versus codependency, that is the question! (March 23, 2016)
In the Pacific Time Zone, the Moon will be full at 5:00 a.m. on Wednesday, March 23. With this Full Moon, the Sun in Aries will be in opposition (180°) to the Moon in Libra. To further clarify how this Full Moon will impact you on a personal level, locate 4° of Aires and 4° of Libra in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with those two houses are going to be most impacted by this Full Moon’s presence.
As is true of all Full Moons, we are being asked to explore whether we are in balance when it comes to the two signs that are involved. The Sun in Aries is about being assertive, direct, independent, enthusiastic, energetic, and confident. The shadow side (or lower expression) of this sign can be aggressiveness, arrogance, and impulsivity. The Libra energy is associated with diplomacy, compromise, cooperation, balance, and harmony. The shadow side of this sign can be indecisiveness, dependency, and even pouting.
This Full Moon is also a Lunar Eclipse, which follows the Solar Eclipse on March 8. Eclipses always occur in pairs and add incredible energy to the back-to-back phases of the Moon. They are so powerful that they tend to influence the next six-month period. This pair of eclipses are strongly connected to a pair that occurred six months ago, back in September 2015. They were at almost the same degrees but in opposite signs. It will likely be helpful to look back at events that occurred at that time, especially those pertaining to relationships. What endings and beginnings were catalyzed back then? What still needs to be “cleared” or “cleaned up” that is related to those changes? We have grown and have new perspectives of that significant time period, and this new eclipse cycle is asking us to revisit that significant time in our lives. If we do this work, then it will leave us better equipped to manage new challenges that will present themselves as the next six months unfold.
The Sun just moved into fiery Aries on Saturday, March 19, which represents the beginning of a new astrological year and often marks a time when we feel ready to take action. However, this year, it is important to remember that the latter part of March is still under the strong influence of Piscean energy due to Venus, Neptune, Chiron, and the South Node all being located in this watery, mutable sign. Yes, the Sun, Mercury, and Uranus are all in Aries, which is telling us to move forward . . . NOW! However, we need to make sure that any decisions, communication, and/or actions are guided by the qualities inherent in Pisces, such as compassion, gentleness, intuition, emotions, and spirituality. As discussed in the last Moon Update, the entire month of March is strongly influenced by mutable energy, which means we need to be adaptable, flexible, and easy going. This is an opportunity to hone our skills in flowing, surrendering, trusting, relaxing, and living in the moment.
All Full Moons have the potential to activate the shadow side of the two signs involved, but this is especially true when the Full Moon is a Lunar Eclipse. As the Moon passes through the shadow of the Earth, the unconscious aspects of each sign are often activated (see description above). We need to make the conscious choice to use the higher expression of each sign, which can facilitate needed changes. Lunar eclipses are often emotional times when fears come to the surface. However, heightened intuition and “a-ha” moments are also possible. New pathways may seem to open up magically before us, but they really are coming from our willingness to face our issues and purge old patterns.
The annual Libra Full Moon puts the focus on our relationships, both with ourselves and others. It’s important now to ask where we need to be more assertive and where we need to be more compromising, with the goal being to increase the level of harmony in our lives. Given the strong Piscean influence that is still present, it will not be effective to embody the Aries energy and steamroll over people. Although the Aries action may lead to action, compromise and compassion are key now. It is helpful to keep in mind that we Lightworkers are in a unique position to be role models for a new paradigm. The spiritual energy associated with Pisces supports us in being able to step into a more unconditional and accepting view of others and see the Divine lessons in all relationships. This isn’t easy, but we need to demonstrate through our relationship with ourselves and our interactions with others that we are individuals that are all connected in intricate and often incomprehensible ways.
This Libra Full Moon is also being influenced by several astrological aspects, all of which are also intensified by the Lunar Eclipse:
- Right before the Full Moon (Monday, March 21), Mercury moves into Aries for a relatively brief visit (i.e., it will move into Taurus on April 6). The speed of our thoughts (and even our words) will increase substantially, but paying attention to details may feel annoying. At the time of this Full Moon, Mercury will be in a very tight conjunct (0°) to the Sun (0 degrees 21 minutes), which means it is also in a very tight opposition (180°) to the Moon. We need to be honest both with ourselves and others, while also paying attention to both our thoughts (Mercury) and our feelings (Moon). However, we also must be careful not to speak without thinking, which is a tendency when Mercury is in Aries. Given the closeness of Mercury to the Sun, our words can be especially clear and powerful, which is great as long as what we are saying isn’t coming from an ego-based place.
- A nice sextile (60°) between the Moon and Mars will help us take actions that might be outside of our comfort zone but could lead to more harmony and balance in our lives. We will have an increased clarity regarding what we want, and taking the steps needed to achieve our goals comes more easily around the time of the Full Moon.
- The asteroid Chiron is also closely conjunct (0°) the South Node (0 degrees 4 minutes). Chiron is all about healing, and the South Node is about past issues. This very powerful theme of healing past issues started with the New Moon in Pisces two weeks ago and will continue for a few more weeks before easing up in early- to-mid April. Given the strong Piscean influence in place, this would be a good time to look carefully at the difference between compassion and codependence and how our past may be influencing our ability to distinguish between them. If we ignore or deny our wounded feelings, then they can sabotage us. But if they are acknowledged and we are willing to walk through the pain, this can lead to incredible healing.
- Jupiter is making its second of three squares (90°) to Saturn. The first square occurred on August 3, 2015, and the final square will occur on May 26. This is a tough square. Jupiter is about expansion, and Saturn is about contraction; and squares often represent a turning point in our lives. We need to keep our ideals (Jupiter) within the bounds of reality (Saturn). It may be time to restructure some of our goals; and if we don’t choose to do so, we may be forced to do this due to obstacles that come up in our path. During this time period, growth can occur, but it will be slow and steady growth. In fact, it may be better now to revisit some old plans rather than venture into new territory. We are being encouraged to look carefully at our values, motivations, and assumptions because they can either help build a strong foundation or they can undermine us. A good way to utilize this energy is to keep the big picture in mind (Jupiter) while making sure you are taking responsible action and carefully analyzing any important information (Saturn).
Mercury trines (120°) Mars on Thursday, March 24, which often brings enthusiasm and an abundance of communication, which intensified Mercury being in Aries. We can think clearly, and it will likely be a very productive day. We may even be able to turn recent ideas into workable solutions. However, we may not be very sensitive emotionally. If you need to be direct with someone, today is the day! But if you need to be compassionate in order to be heard, then put off that phone call or email for a few days.
On Friday, March 25, Saturn begins its annual retrograde period, and it will remain in retrograde until August 13. This often heralds a time of year when we spend time reflecting on and reassessing our commitments and responsibilities. Are we giving so much to others that it is leaving our proverbial well dry? Are there responsibilities that we are not facing that need our attention? Although we may not feel ready to make any changes until Saturn begins moving direct again on August 13, we will be doing the inner work of identifying any issues or beliefs in our lives that are weighing us down or holding us back from moving forward with our soul’s journe.
The same day (Friday, March 25) sees Venus opposing (180°) Jupiter and squaring (90°) Saturn, forming a fast-moving t-square (i.e., right triangle) in the sky above us. Although this may increase our desire for pleasure, it can also put a damper on the party. It could be a frustrating day filled with thwarted desires and feelings of dissatisfaction. It will help to keep our expectations in check, not exaggerate our feelings, avoid taking any financial risks, and recognizing that “this too shall pass.”
The Sun and Mars form a harmonious trine (120°) on Saturday, March 26. This will bring a big influx of energy, and we may be able to accomplish a lot today! And a sweet sextile (60°) between Venus and Pluto may increase our desire for “intimate” encounters, both physical and emotional. This is also a good aspect for financial endeavors. Because Venus is in Pisces, following our intuition may lead to some surprising outcomes.
On Tuesday, March 29, Venus will be conjunct (0°) the South Node. In order to restore balance in our lives, we may need to heal any issues that are keeping us from honoring our true values. A trine (120°) between Mercury and Saturn the same day will provide us with the mental clarity and realism that leads to sensible solutions.
The next day (Wednesday, March 30), a difficult square (90°) between Mercury and Pluto could increase feelings of mistrust. Secrets could be revealed that lead to hurt feelings but greater understanding. Uncovering the truth can be painful but freeing, and the truth is necessary for true progress. The process may not be pleasant, but look for important information to be revealed that leads to increased awareness.
Thursday, March 31, sees a square (90°) between the Sun in Aries and the Moon in Capricorn. This is a difficult square because Aries represents the youngest energy in the chart and Capricorn the most mature energy. We may feel an urge to act impulsively in a desire to bring on needed changes. But this square reminds us that if we can slow down the fiery Aries locomotive, we can create a more stable foundation upon which to pursue our heart’s desires (Moon in Cap). The goal is to find harmony between what we want (Sun) and need (Moon). It is probably best to keep at least some part of the old order in place, but new ideas will be coming in due to a conjunction (0°) between Mercury and Uranus. The influence of this conjunction could help us identify obsolete beliefs or practices by ushering in very radical ideas that may be worth serious consideration.
Overall, this Full Moon in Aries and Lunar Eclipse is supporting us in surrounding ourselves with those who fill our bucket and don’t drain it. Realizations experienced now may help us see how we have used our heart-felt compassion in ways that actually undermines ourselves and others through codependency. We don’t want to lose our capacity for compassion, but we need to also make sure that we put the oxygen mask on ourselves first and that we make sure we are not enabling others to avoid learning their own life lessons. During the past two weeks, so many people have been reporting to me that “past stuff” has been coming up to be healed in very powerful ways, and I have experienced the same thing. This influence is still present during this Libra Full Moon and Lunar Eclipse, so it will be helpful to reframe our struggles as opportunities to heal at a new level. And remember, “The wound is the place where the Light enters you” (Rumi).
WOULD YOU LIKE TO RECEIVE NEW & FULL MOON REPORTS?
If you are not already on our email list, please be sure to join Anne Reith’s Online Community so you are guaranteed to receive her New & Full Moon Reports.
THIS BLOG POST WAS WRITTEN BY
- Anne Reith, Ph.D. (AnneReith.com)
- For information about Dr. Reith’s downloadable ebooks and meditations, feel free to visit her online Store
SOME INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
- The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
- Various online sources (e.g., www.cafeastrology.com)
- New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
Full Moon at 4° of Libra
- Wednesday, March 23, 5:00 a.m. PDT
- Wednesday, March 23, 8:00 a.m. EDT
- Wednesday, March 23, 12:00 p.m. GMT