FULL MOON IN TAURUS – And the next Mercury Retrograde period (October 29, 2012)
This Full Moon on Monday, October 29, finds the Sun in Scorpio in opposition (180°) to the Moon in Taurus. To further clarify how this Full Moon in Taurus will impact you on a personal level, locate 7° of Scorpio and 7° of Taurus in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with those two houses are going to be most affected by this Full Moon’s presence.
All Full Moons ask us to find balance between the two signs involved. Scorpio is all about intensity, passion, healing, transformation, and digging below the surface to find the answers to our questions. Taurus is all about responsibility, resourcefulness, reliability, patience, loyalty, and dealing with and enjoying what is on the surface of our lives (e.g., sensual pleasures, material possessions). These seemingly opposite qualities are both important now. We need to find a way to address the needs of both signs at this time because both have important lessons to teach us.
Scorpio is an intense sign. It pushes us to confront our fears, our addictions, and the shadow sides of our personality. It supports us in releasing what we have outgrown or what is oppressive or unsustainable (e.g., jobs, relationships, lifestyles). Letting go isn’t inherently painful. Often it’s holding on that causes suffering. What is dead or dying in your life? What is crying to be born? The energy of Taurus, if used appropriately, will help you make these changes in your life. The spiritual task of Taurus is to develop one’s core values and live in alignment with them. This includes issues of self-worth and our attitudes toward money, security, and enjoyment. The presence of down-to-earth Taurean energy will help us to “take care of business,” while still remembering the importance of “coming up for air” when doing deep, transformational work.
In addition to the opposition between the energies of Scorpio and Taurus, the next 7-10 days are filled with complicated energies. One day, we may feel focused, and the next we may feel scattered. If you are feeling challenged by these disparate energies, it may be helpful to remember an axiom in astrology: “This too shall pass.” For example, even when feeling scattered, have faith that a period of focus and productivity is right around the corner, because it often is!
- On Sunday, October 28, Mars in Sagittarius will oppose (180°) Jupiter in Gemini. This may make it difficult to use self-control. Yes, there are times when stretching our limits is appropriate and helpful, but only when we know how to stop short of the breaking point. Luckily, this same day, Venus moves into her home sign of Libra, which will herald the beginning of a month-long period of refinement and balance in our relationships. This may help counter the sometimes uncontrollable exuberance of the Mars-Jupiter opposition.
- And on the day of the Full Moon (Monday, October 29), Mercury moves into the sign of Sagittarius and then quickly squares (90°) imaginative Neptune. This combination can lead to thinking outside the box . . . WAY outside the box . . . and can cause us to aim too high or look too far into the future. But it can also provide us with inspiration that leads to magic and poetry. At least for a few hours today, it’s important to let the dreaminess of Neptune allow us to look beyond what we see as “reality” and consider “possibilities.”
- However, also on the day of the Full Moon (Monday, October 29), Saturn will be conjunct (0°) the Sun. This represents a time of reckoning, reconciliation, and restitution. Normally, a Full Moon in Taurus is a relatively docile time that can sometimes lead to self-indulgence; but with this connection to Saturn, our feet should stay firmly planted on the ground. In fact, we will likely feel the weight of obligations and tasks not yet completed. Because both Saturn and the Sun are located in Scorpio, we are being asked to deal with issues of shared resources and power. We need to honor all of our responsibilities and focus on our interdependence rather than independence (or dependence). Again, we are being asked to think outside the box. And power is again emphasized by a trine (120°) between Pluto and the Moon and a sextile (60°) between Pluto and the Sun. These aspects provide us with very supportive energies to purge attitudes, expectations, and alliances that cost more than they give back. We are being asked to eliminate distractions, focus on critical issues, and focus our will and intention where we can produce tangible results.
- Between Thursday, November 1 and Saturday, November 3, (a) Venus in Libra will oppose (180°) Uranus in Aries and (b) both of these planets will square (90°) Pluto in Capricorn. This creates a very powerful astrological configuration called a t-square (i.e., a right triangle). This is a cardinal t-square, and cardinal energy is about new beginnings and taking action. We may feel guided to make some radical changes in partnerships, personal tastes, and values. The presence of Pluto in Capricorn will give us an opportunity to use profound commitment that can expose hidden assets and resources for happiness and material gain. Given the presence of Uranus, we may also find that we are drawn to new or unusual relationships or activities. Overall, personal integrity, cooperation, and ingenuity are all emphasized now.
- Then on Saturday, November 3, another astrological configuration is formed when the Moon forms a relatively short-lived but powerful cardinal grand cross with Venus, Uranus, and Pluto. Again, cardinal energy is involved, and this can spark new, radical insights and actions. Overall, this is a very complex configuration, and its impact is difficult to predict. Going to extremes in our relationship may be possible now, and we may feel more emotionally vulnerable than usual. It may be harder than usual to keep a lid on our emotions. It is likely that many of us will feel pushed to reconsider what we want and what we’re willing to pay for it, especially in the areas of the heart, self-worth, and finances. The key is to find a balancing point between all these transformational energies occurring now (e.g., Pluto, Uranus) and our emotional needs (e.g., Moon, Venus).
- On Tuesday, November 6 (the day of the National Election), Mercury begins its next retrograde period. Because it begins this phase of backward motion in Sagittarius, everyone is especially encouraged to think carefully before speaking or acting because the fiery energy of Sagittarius can be hard to contain at times. On Tuesday, November 13, Mercury will move backwards far enough to return to the sign of Scorpio, where it can help us dig up valuable information that is related to how we use power and our personal transformation before returning to its forward motion on Monday, November 26. Overall, this 3-week period is best handled by paying careful attention to detail. This may be taxing, but double and triple checking our facts can help us to avoid problems with communication, contracts, technology, and travel plans. Use this time to focus on “re” words . . . review, reevaluate, revise, refine.
Overall, this Full Moon in Taurus is pushing all of us to get down to the “real” issues in our lives. But we are also being encouraged to let ideals creep into our “realities” so we can begin to see the possibilities available to us. But the 7-10 days are filled with seemingly conflicting energies. Take each day as it comes, and it is probably best to not make any major decisions or take action on new ideas until after Mercury turns direct on Monday, November 26. Till then, clear up old matters, take care of what is right in front of you, and allow time for dreaming and imagining. And remember, “We do not need magic to transform our world. We carry all of the power we need inside ourselves already.” (J.K. Rowling)
REMINDER: New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
Full Moon at 7° of Taurus
Monday, October 29, 2012 at 12:50 p.m. PDT
Monday, October 29, 2012 at 3:50 p.m. EST
Monday, October 29, 2012 at 7:50 p.m. GMT
INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
Various online sources