NEW MOON IN VIRGO-It’s about perfecting and not perfection (September 15, 2012)
This month’s New Moon on Saturday, September 15, finds both the Moon and Sun in conjunction (0°) at 24° of Virgo. To further clarify how this New Moon will impact you on a personal level, locate 24° of Virgo in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with that house are going to be most affected by this New Moon’s presence.
All New Moons represent a time of new beginnings and new emotional starts. It’s a time when we can set new intentions related to the sign (and house) involved in the New Moon. This month, the New Moon is in Virgo, which represents energy that is practical, analytical, organized, precise, discerning, conscientious, and service-oriented. The energy of Virgo presents an excellent opportunity for us to get our day-to-day lives organized. A few years ago, I provided the following list of possible New Moon in Virgo activities, and I feel it is worth repeating:
- Develop the skill of healthy discernment in order to determine what is “right” for you (and what isn’t)
- Roll up your sleeves and get down to some serious work
- Begin a new project that requires attention to detail
- Make lists . . . and actively mark off completed activities and take pride in your “little” accomplishments
- Start a health regime, research nutrition and vitamins, and pay attention to your diet
- Set up specific routines that will help you manage your life in constructive and mindful ways
- Handle the “little” details of your day-to-day life in an organized, step-by-step fashion so that you can free your mind of clutter.
- Develop new skills or take a major step toward refining existing technical abilities
Any New Moon in Virgo supports us in recognizing patterns of behavior or thought that we no longer need. It is a time to plant seeds for the future by developing new skills, improving our health, and creating order. Yes, Virgo does have a tendency to focus on details and to lose sight of the big picture. But the key to getting the best out of Virgo’s energy is to focus on what can be improved, rather than fixating on flaws. Virgo is not a sign of perfection; it is a sign of perfecting. There is a big difference between (a) aspiring to an unrealistic idea or ideal and (b) committing to do the work necessary to improve your life.
And this New Moon is occurring at a time when other astrological events are supporting and also demanding that we do, in fact, change some things in our lives, in our families, in our communities, and in our society:
- On Sunday, September 16, Mercury moves out of Virgo and into Libra, where it will remain until the 26th of September. This transit is associated with thoughts and speech that are diplomatic and objective. It is a reminder there are usually two sides to every story, and sometimes more than two! We feel friendly, others see us as friendly, and we bring a rational approach to all our relationships.
- On Monday, September 17, Pluto ends its yearly retrograde phase and begins moving direct again. This tells us that it is time to take a giant step forward. Pluto is all about bringing issues out of the shadows that need to be faced in order to move to the next step in our evolution. If we used Pluto’s retrograde period effectively, we dug deep to identify those shadowy issues. Now, as Pluto moves direct, we will slowly (because Pluto moves slowly) need to bring those issues to the surface and deal with them. Yes, sometimes what must be dealt with feels scary, but what comes up could provide us with the impetus needed to make meaningful changes. Pluto is in Capricorn, which tends to put the astrological spotlight on issues of power and responsibility; therefore, it would be helpful to ask ourselves questions such as, “How am I using my personal power?”, “How could I use it more effectively and responsibly?”, and “What do I need to change in myself in order to do this?”
- On Wednesday, September 19, another big event occurs . . . Uranus and Pluto make their second of seven exact squares (90°). As discussed back in the New Moon in Gemini, some believe that these seven squares (culminating in 2015) signify the most important planetary influence in a generation. This is a time when a spiritual revolution is taking place that requires a radical shift in humanity’s consciousness. We are being asked to manifest the Aquarian ideas of equality, peace, unity, and prosperity for all. As with all transits involving Uranus, ignoring the need for change could lead to more explosive experiences later. Given the seven squares will unfold between 2012 and 2015, we’re not likely to resolve major concerns immediately; but opening our minds to alternative ideas will ease transitions down the road.
- On Thursday, September 20, Mercury joins the square (90°) between Uranus and Pluto to form an exact t-square, in which Mercury is in opposition (180°) to Uranus and is squaring (90°) Pluto. Mercury’s presence helps us give voice to the transformational Uranus-Pluto square described above. Due to the presence of Uranus, conversations may go in strange and unexpected directions. However, Uranus also emphasizes that we need to think way outside the box. Radical insights and revelations are likely if we are tolerant and mindful of our motivations. At this time, don’t be against anything. Be for kindness; be for love; be for unity. And be very willing to meet unfamiliar ideas and concepts with flexibility and tolerance.
This New Moon in Virgo comes at a time when we need to be willing to change in order to grow. But part of that growth may require us to “clear the clutter” and “get back to basics.” We are being asked to determine what is truly useful and let go of what isn’t. For many of us, this means slowing down, evaluating our daily routines, cutting out what is outmoded or no longer necessary, improving our self-care routines, and honoring what is truly of value to us. The time has come for each of us to step into our full power and integrity, and we need a firm foundation upon which to act. As Hans Hofmann stated, “The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak.”
- New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
- New Moon at 24° of Virgo
- Saturday, September 15, 2012 at 7:11 p.m. PDT
- Saturday, September 15, 2012 at 10:11 p.m. EST
- Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 2:11 a.m. GMT
INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
- The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
- Various online sources
- Anne’s interpretations