NEW MOON IN SCORPIO & SOLAR ECLIPSE-10 times the power of a typical New Moon! (November 13, 2012)
This month’s New Moon on Tuesday, November 13, finds both the Moon and Sun in conjunction (0°) at 22° of Scorpio. To further clarify how this New Moon will impact you on a personal level, locate 22° of Scorpio in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with that house are going to be most affected by this New Moon’s presence.
As with all New Moons, this one in Scorpio offers us an opportunity to set new intentions and have new emotional starts. Scorpio is a fixed water sign. Its energy is emotional, and its focus is passionate and intense, akin to a laser beam. As with all astrological signs, there is a higher and lower expression of the energy associated with Scorpio. Its higher expression is the ability to focus energy in strong, passionate, willful, energetic ways toward the accomplishment of whatever it deems to be important. When Scorpio is “on a mission,” nothing will interfere with the accomplishment of this goal! The lower expression, though, manifests when the energy of Scorpio hinders us from knowing when to let go, release, surrender, and turn something over to the Divine. The expression “Let go and let God” is a critical lesson for this sign. And this is the energy that we all will be dealing with at the time of this New Moon in Scorpio. We all need to learn to find the balance between (a) focusing on our goals, setting our intentions, and using that laser-like focus to achieve our objectives and (b) knowing when to use prayer, visualization, surrender, and detachment from a specific objective.
And this is not your ordinary New Moon in Scorpio! It is also a Solar Eclipse. This means that the energy of this New Moon is magnified tenfold! For many of us, this extra-powerful New Moon is marking a time of major endings and beginnings. Old energy grids are being reconfigured and rebooted. Old programs erased. New templates emerge. Because this Solar Eclipse is happening during a Scorpio New Moon, it is likely that we will be exploring our deepest desires, worst fears, and our cosmic destiny. Often this will be a time of wrapping up (or resurfacing) of issues addressed 19 years ago when the Solar Eclipse occurred at the same degree. In this case, that would be November 13, 1993. If you can, think back to what was important in your life then. Where in your life are you ready to go to the next level, particularly in the issues associated with the house in your natal chart where this New Moon is occurring?
Many planets are changing directions or signs in the next 7-10 days, and several aspects between planets will influence our lives in powerful ways:
- On the same day as the New Moon (Tuesday, November 13), Mercury backs into Scorpio, which will deepen our perceptions and support the psychological awareness that is the hallmark of a Scorpio New Moon. That same day, Mercury will square (90°) Neptune. The presence of spiritual Neptune will support the deep healing energy inherent in a Scorpio New Moon. It will help all of us to let go, engage in dialogue about spiritual matters, and be supported through caring words and tender thoughts.
- Both Neptune and Chiron (an important asteroid associated with healing) end their 5-month retrograde phases and begin moving forward again on Saturday, November 10 and Wednesday, November14, respectively. They have been in retrograde since June 4 (Neptune) and June 11 (Chiron). What has changed for you since then? What are you drawn to do now. Over the next few weeks, many of us will very likely feel drawn to take big steps in our spiritual lives and in our healing of any issues that block us from that progress (e.g., physical, emotional, mental, spiritual).
- On Thursday, November 15, there is an important but awkward aspect called a quincunx (150°) between Saturn and Uranus. This same aspect will return two more times on April 12 and October 4, 2013. The slow moving energy of this aspect will encourage us to explore how and when to shift from being dutiful and disciplined (Saturn) to being independent and original (Uranus). Both ways of operating are useful, but learning how to effectively navigating between them is the challenge we are now being given by the cosmos. Do your best to be aware of these rapidly changing signals, and keep making adjustments, as needed. You are being given the opportunity over the next year to perfect your dance between order and freedom by learning how to be more adaptable.
- On Friday, November 16, Mars moves into Capricorn for a 6-week stay. Although this placement of Mars can arouse competitive urges and lead to struggles over authority and control, Mars enjoys being in Capricorn because it supports commitment and the pursuit of ambition and recognition. It can also provide us with the capacity to overcome any difficulties and stick to tough tasks.
- An aspect occurring the next day (Saturday, November 17) will provide a soft sextile (60°) between Mars and Neptune. This will encourage gentle persuasion and acts of creativity and compassion. An hour later, the Sun will conjoin (0°) Mercury, which will provide us with insights and help us communicate more effectively.
- Then on Wednesday, November 21, the Sun leaves the sign of Scorpio and enters its home sign of Sagittarius. Although this has traditionally been known as a month of excess and overreaching, the true purpose of the Sag energy is to broaden our horizons. We are being asked to venture out of our comfort zones through exploration and/or education.
- Later that same day (Wednesday, November 21), Venus enters Scorpio, where it remains until December 17. Luckily, the presence of Venus in Scorpio while the Sun is in Sagittarius will help curb the typical Sag tendencies to overspend with regard to money or energy. Venus in Scorpio is traditionally a placement of jealousy, mistrust, and scrutiny. We are being encouraged to dig more deeply into our psyches and discover assets and resources that aren’t being fully utilized. Additionally, Venus in Scorpio has the added benefit of intensifying our desires, including our sexual feelings, which can add a delightful energy to our intimate relationships. But all desires will be intensified, sexual and otherwise!
- On Thanksgiving Day here in the United States (Thursday, November 22), Venus trines (120°) Neptune, which can support Venus in Scorpio by creating a dreamy, spiritual energy. The planets Venus and Neptune symbolize two facets of love: personal and universal. This free-flowing trine puts Scorpionic desires into a larger perspective, where fulfilling one person’s needs will not leave another person wanting. There’s enough love and approval for everyone with this open-hearted alignment.
- Then next day (Friday, November 23), an electric and potentially dramatic square (90°) occurs between Mars and Uranus. Best-laid plans may need to be reworked as unexpected events emerge on the day after Thanksgiving. Both individually and socially, we may feel and see rebellion against order and rules. But this aspect can also bring insights and innovation that are surprisingly useful. But then on Saturday, November 24, a sweet stabilizing sextile (60°) between Mars and Saturn will calm things down. It is likely we will feel motivated to take action that is practical, productive, and proficient.
Overall, this New Moon in Scorpio and Solar Eclipse is super-charged! We are being asked to find a balance between intention and faith, focus, and surrender. Scorpio is ruled by Pluto, so we may need to purge the old before we begin anew. We are also being asked to be mindful of our motivations, to heal what needs to be healed, and to use our power wisely. Bring your love and wisdom to whatever situation is calling for healing and transformation. We are being reminded that we always have power, we always have choice, and we all have something important to offer. So at this time, it may be helpful to remember the beautiful prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi: “Lord, make me an instrument of your peace. where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where there is sadness, joy. Grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love.”
- New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
- New Moon at 22° of Scorpio
- Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 2:09 p.m. PDT
- Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 5:09 p.m. EST
- Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 10:09 p.m. GMT
INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
- The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
- Various online sources
- Anne’s interpretations