NEW MOON IN SAGITTARIUS–Innovative ideas at this time help make your dreams a real possibility! (December 2, 2013)
In the Pacific Time Zone, the New Moon will occur at 4:22 p.m. on Monday, December 2. This New Moon finds the Moon and Sun in conjunction (0°) at 11° of Sagittarius. To further clarify how this New Moon will impact you on a personal level, locate 11° of Sagittarius in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with that house are going to be most influenced by this New Moon’s presence.
A New Moon in Sagittarius is often a time filled with enthusiasm and adventure. Our attention is drawn to the future; and when “reality” is impressed upon us, we often feel tied down and resentful. We want the freedom to explore new things, dream big, and move beyond current limitations and boundaries. High hopes are to be expected now, and it’s totally appropriate to raise them given the influence of the New Moon in Sag and many other supportive aspects occurring during the New Moon and in the days following this lunar event.
Brainstorming is a healthy expression of this buoyant occasion, and out-of-the-box thinking is amplified because the Sun and Moon are trine (120°) innovative Uranus. It’s fine to leave practicality behind for a time. If we permit ourselves to start looking beyond our current narrow perceptions, we might catch a glimpse of a brighter tomorrow, which can help us resolve individual and collective challenges. Yes, with Uranus fanning the flames of fiery Sag optimism, there is a risk that we could go too far and move into the land of unrealistic illusions. The reality is that some of what we come up with now will not take root, but remember that it only takes one acorn to grow a mighty oak!
This New Moon in Sagittarius closely squares (90°) the asteroid Chiron. We are being urged to heal by seeing beyond the beliefs that mire us in unhealthy behaviors. Although we are living our daily life on the Earth plane, we are now being reminded that it’s important to find a healthy balance between our human existence and our spiritual connections. To heal means to become whole, and humanity often is wounded by the original separation from the Divine. At this time, Chiron in Pisces is facilitating our remembrance that we are spiritual beings, which widens our capacity for empathy, forgiveness, and unconditional love, both for ourselves and others. Chiron in Pisces reminds us that we may learn through pain, but we heal through love.
Sagittarius is the sign most associated with our perception of truth and meaning. What we believe is influenced by our family-of-origin, teachers, religious upbringing, and culture. Due to these influences, we each have a set of beliefs about what is right and wrong, good and bad, possible and impossible. Our beliefs are largely unconscious, but this New Moon in Sagittarius is asking us to examine our assumptions and motivations. You might ask yourself questions such as: What do I believe? What do I know? What is my purpose? Does my life reflect my philosophy?
Adding further emphasis to this nudge to assess our beliefs is the fact that Jupiter, the ruler of Sagittarius, is currently traveling in retrograde in Cancer (November 6, 2013 through March 6, 2014). Our attention is turned inward toward reassessing our beliefs and revising our priorities. It’s a good time to review projects to make sure that they reflect our true values and desires. We may also see that additional education of some kind would support our growth and development. Given that the backward movement of Jupiter is through Pisces (a water sign), it is also a time when we’ll probably be reflecting on what we need in order to maintain a healthy body and emotional life.
As mentioned above, some important aspects bare mentioning, as well as movement of certain planets into new signs:
- Just a reminder of something I mentioned in the last Moon Update. A few days before the New Moon in Sagittarius (on Saturday, November 30), a wonderful trine (120°) will occur between the Sun and Uranus. As I explained in that Update,
Flexibility is the key to using this energy in positive ways. A unique idea or approach may suddenly become apparent, and creative changes or amazing discoveries are possible. The day before, during, and after this transit, we should take advantage of any unusual, unconventional, or unexpected opportunities. We may be surprised at the benefits we reap from these! Whether it’s doing something entirely new or simply an adventure in self-discovery, this transit stimulates fresh and lively energy in our lives.
- Right after the New Moon, Mercury will sextile (60°) Mars on Tuesday, December 3. Communication will be on overdrive now, but in clever and enjoyable ways. Conversations will be infused with fresh perspectives, and we may find smarter ways to work. Even if we disagree, our differences will be more tolerable, and we may create new connections with regard to work and other practical matters.
- On Wednesday, December 4, Mercury joins the Sun in Sagittarius. This will help us see far beyond the visible horizon and will again support a lighthearted approach to any disagreements. The enthusiasm of so much Sag energy can lead to big ideas. Mercury in Sag can pump up conversations and thoughts with enthusiasm, and we can look at any problems more objectively. The only warnings between now and when Mercury moves into Capricorn on December 25 are (a) to be cautious of overstatement and overpromising and (b) to remember that words can cause unnecessary wounds if not carefully thought through before speaking them aloud.
- On Friday, December 6, an imaginative Mercury-Neptune square (90°) might add some tenderness to soften opinions with compassion. But it is also possible that fantasies could be presented as facts. Therefore, this isn’t the best time to trust that we are hearing, seeing, and perceiving the facts clearly. Take a day or two to think about it before taking action on new ideas. Upcoming aspects will help us accurately discern between fact and fiction.
- Luckily, on Saturday, December 7, Mars moves into gracious Libra, which will help us use our enthusiasm to build alliances. Mars in Libra typically takes the edge off anger, and often will bring peace to existing relationships. It is also a good time to connect with new people. With this placement, the only caution would be to avoid denying our needs in order to “keep the peace,” because this could lead to passive-aggressive behavior, resentment, and misunderstandings. The anecdote is to be honest with ourselves about our needs and feelings so they don’t come out sideways in our relationships with others.
- On Tuesday, December 10, a brilliant trine (120°) between Mercury and Uranus will spur even more bright ideas and innovative thinking, especially during meetings or in groups. Activities involving computers, science, and math are also highlighted. Unexpected gains are possible, and our intuition will be strong. Original, creative ideas may seem to come “out of the blue.”
- Then we are all in for a treat. The second in a series of three beautiful trines (120°) between expansive Jupiter and realistic Saturn will provide the perfect blend between inspiration and common sense, along with the clarity and commitment that is necessary to make solid long-term plans. The first of three trines between these planets occurred on July 17, 2013, and the next one will be on May 24, 2014. This slow moving aspect will be exact on Thursday, December 12, but it will be felt for several days before and after this date. This beautiful alignment is coming after a 10-day period of innovative ideas, and it will provide us with a good balance between aspirations and reality. We will be able to separate the wheat from the chaff, and we are being supported in establishing a solid foundation for constructing a wonderful future. Problem-solving should come more easily with this favorable alignment between two of the most strategic planets.
This New Moon in Sagittarius is asking us to explore and affirm our beliefs, values, and philosophy of life. New ideas will be “popping” out of the proverbial woodwork during the next two weeks, and there is wonderful support for being able to convert at least some of these ideas into actual long-term plans. Throughout this process, it is important to look inward and explore what might be keeping us from living our truth or what might be hindering us from shining brighter. Remember, “We are each gifted in a unique and important way. It is our privilege and our adventure to discover our own special light.” (E. M. Dunbar)
WOULD YOU LIKE TO RECEIVE NEW & FULL MOON REPORTS?
If you are not already on our email list, please be sure to join Anne Reith’s Online Community so you are guaranteed to receive her New & Full Moon Reports.
THIS BLOG POST WAS WRITTEN BY
- Anne Reith, Ph.D. (www.AnneReith.com)
INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
- The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
- Various online sources (e.g., www.cafeastrology.com)
- New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
New Moon at 11° of Sagittarius
- Monday, December 2, 2013, 4:22 p.m. PST
- Monday, December 2, 2013, 7:22 p.m. EST
- Tuesday, December 3, 2013, 12:22 a.m. GMT