FULL MOON IN SAGITTARIUS AND LUNAR ECLIPSE-A time to watch your words and take care of business (June 15, 2011)
This Full Moon finds the Sun in Gemini in opposition (180°) to the Moon in Sagittarius. To further clarify how this Full Moon in Sagittarius will impact you on a personal level, locate 25° of Gemini and 25° of Sagittarius in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with that house are going to be most affected by this Full Moon’s presence.
Full Moons always require us to find balance between the two signs involved. Gemini is about short term interests and communication/learning about details. Sagittarius is about long-term perspectives and has the big picture in mind. So our goal is to find a balance between seeing the big picture but not ignoring important details.
This Full Moon is the 2nd in a series of three eclipses occurring between June 1 and July 1. Eclipses often mark times of major shifts in our lives. Two weeks ago, we had a Solar Eclipse. For many of us, it was a time when we were reconfiguring our lives and receiving downloads of information (some of which we may not even be conscious of yet). With this total Lunar Eclipse, things that have been stored in our subconscious or unconscious are being activated. We may find that suppressed emotions or memories come up to the surface to be healed. They will help reveal what is really motivating us or what is blocking us from fully shining our light.
This Full Moon is traditionally known as a time when you can feel overwhelmed with the influx of information. However, this specific Lunar Eclipse signals a need to focus on current concerns. Again, find a balance between the bigger picture, but it will be calming for you to focus on what needs to be done . . . right here . . . right now. Don’t look too far ahead. Let the future flow to you rather than racing toward it.
And this Lunar Eclipse reinforces all this. It signals a need to let go of unrealistic dreams and attend to more mundane matters. The Earth’s shadow is dimming the Moon’s glow, and this often can lead to letting go of an old dream or unhealthy pattern of emotional response. It is a time when we are all being asked to look at our wishful thinking and determine if that wish is realistic or is simply a way to avoid facing reality. Dreams are fine . . . as long as they don’t take you away from what you need to deal with in the here and now. The message of this Lunar Eclipse is to take care of the minor tasks that require attention right now.
This Lunar Eclipse occurs at the same degree as a Lunar Eclipse on June 14, 1992. What changes were you making in your life then? What are you being called toward now? You can use the power of this Full Moon and Lunar Eclipse to see what old beliefs or fears might be holding you back from moving into your future and into your light.
Several astrological events during the time of this Full Moon can support the energies of this Full Moon and Lunar Eclipse or make these energies a bit more complicated:
- On Sunday, June 12, Saturn turns direct. The influence of this shift in direction may be subtle at first. You may sense that you know you need to do something, but you aren’t quite sure how to do it yet. Overall, many of us will slowly regain a sense of order and discipline that was lacking while Saturn was moving in retrograde (since January 25, 2011).
- At the time of the Full Moon on Wednesday, June 15, Mercury is conjunct (0°) the Sun in Gemini and in opposition (180°) to the Moon in Sagittarius. Mercury, the traditional planet of communication, will make sure that we express whatever we need to express. For some, this may involve some challenging moments as the Moon (emotions) is pulled out into the open light of day (Sun). Emotions prefer to exist in the private, dark corners of our psyches, so this “pull” into the light may be uncomfortable for some, but it is essential if we are going to shine our light and not hold back.
- On Thursday, June 16, Mercury moves into watery Cancer. Communication will be more emotional now, although you can be defensive when sharing your opinions. But the nurturing nature of Cancer can also bring caring conversations. However, Mercury in Cancer can also result in resisting or even fearing change. Be sure to talk (Mercury) with trusted others (Cancer) if you find yourself holding back when you think (or feel) you really should move forward.
- Soon thereafter, Mercury in Cancer trines (120°) Neptune in Pisces. This alignment will promote inspiration and empathy. It connects us all with faith and forgiveness. We can “read” people more easily than usual.
- On Friday, June 17, Mercury sextiles (60°) Jupiter and Venus trines (120°) Saturn a few hours later. The former is an excellent aspect for learning, especially if the field of education involves religion, philosophy, or any form of higher education. The latter creates harmony in relationships that comes from being grounded in the real needs of the other person. It’s all about helping in practical ways . . . about combining love with responsibility.
- On Saturday, June 18, Mercury squares (90°) Uranus which often stimulates a lot of mental activity. The presence of Uranus can add innovation, but be careful not to think so fast that you jump to conclusions without examining all the facts. It is best to try to slow down your thinking now or you could become edgy or nervous. If you are prone to worry or anxiety, simplify your life today. However, don’t ignore any bright ideas that may pop into your head at this time. They can be truly inspired! Just keep them to yourself for right now. Save them for later when you will be better able to express these ideas to others and you have a clearer picture of how to take action to bring them to fruition.
- On Sunday, June 19, the edginess or nervousness may continue due to an opposition (180°) between Mercury and Pluto. This alignment can sometimes cause us to say or write something that result s in power struggles or even outright hostility. Do your very best to think before speaking or writing something that might provoke someone else because now is not the time to work things out. This transit makes being objective difficult, and what you see as the “truth” today may not be the “truth” tomorrow. However, this transit can also lead to deepening connections between people, but only when ideas are expressed with kindness.
- Then on Monday, June 20, Mars moves into Gemini, which means communication, communication, and more communication! You may have a hard time staying focused now, so use all your organizational tools to help you not get too far off track (e.g., making lists and checking them regularly). This is a wonderful time for networking and getting a lot of “busywork” done. You can also clear up any misperceptions or get back to writing projects now. Just be aware that the lower expression of Mars in Gemini can be verbal aggressiveness that is masked by humor or cleverness, which is not a productive use of this wonderful energy.
- Tuesday, June 21, is the Summer Solstice, marking the beginning of summer in the Northern Hemisphere. The Sun enters Cancer, which heightens our awareness of both security and family issues. Cancer is a paradox. It is a cardinal sign, representing initiation, yet it can also be fearful, cautious, and protective. Patience and thoughtful analysis are the keys to resolving problems now. But effective action may be difficult to come by for a few days due to a square (90°) between Mars and Neptune, which could leave some of us dreaming a bit too much. Creative play and romantic escapism are appropriate expressions of this aspect.
- And finally, on Wednesday, June 22, the Sun trines (120°) Neptune. This favorable connection between the planets of will (Sun) and compassion (Neptune) inspires creativity, healing, and demonstrations of sensitive leadership. At this time, we will find it easier to forgive and to empower others with empathy and gentle encouragement.
This Full Moon and Lunar Eclipse is a time when thinking before you speak or write will benefit everyone. But it can also be a time when we have our whole perspective turned upside down. We are all being asked to find a balance between looking into the future and taking care of the basics and fundamentals in the present. What dreams do you have that are guiding your choices in the present? Are all those dreams ones that should be chased? Which one(s) is taking you in a direction that isn’t feeling right? You have an opportunity now to evaluate where you are on your path and the direction you want to take going forward. Always remember, “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge” (Stephen W. Hawking).
- New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
FULL MOON IN SAGITTARIUS
- Full Moon at 25° of Sagittarius
- Wednesday, June 15, 2011 at 1:14 p.m. PDT
- Wednesday, June 15, 2011 at 4:14 p.m. EST
- Wednesday, June 15, 2011 at 8:14 p.m. GMT
INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
- The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
- Various online sources
- Anne’s interpretations